CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152195 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 10:02:05.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Dorset (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 84909 25238
ST 82 NW MOTCOMBE MOTCOMBE VILLAGE
3/209 Church of St Mary 16.8.60. GV II*
Parish Church, 1846 by G Alexander. Greensand ashlar with chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses, and a string course. Gable-ended, tiled roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. In the 'Perpendicular' style. Tower: 2 stage, embattled with diagonal buttresses to the lower stage and pilaster strips above; octagonal vice turret with loops; west window of 3-lights with 2-centred head under returned label; higher in the first stage is a 2-light square headed window with a returned label; 2-light belfrey windows with 2-centred heads and returned labels. North aisle: 5-bay; north wall west window of 3 lights with square head under returned label; other north wall-windows of 2-lights under 2-centred heads with returned labels; east and west wall windows of 3-lights with 2-centred heads and returned labels. South aisle: south wall has 2 2-light windows under 2-centred heads and to the east a 3-light, square headed window with returned label; east and west wall windows of 3-lights under 2-centred heads with returned labels. Chancel: north wall has a 2-light, 2-centred window with a returned label; south wall has 2 similar windows and west is a 2-centred chamfered door in a square surround with the string stepped up over as label; original ribbed plank door; east window of 4-lights under a 2-centred head with a stopped label. South porch: gabled with 2-centred, moulded head, continuous jambs and stopped label; reset tablet dated 1636 over inner door. Interior features: 5 bay arcades with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal piers with capitals and bases; chancel and tower arches are 2-centred and moulded with continuous jambs; roofs are arch- braced collar trusses springing from corbels; trefoiled piscina in chancel; C15 reset niche with ogee head and ribbed soffit between pinnacles, containing fragment of sculpture. Round, C13 font on cylindrical stem with round roll moulded base; C17 font cover; various C17, C18 and C19 monuments, notably to Elizabeth (Branthwayte) Webb 1627 with broken pediment, marble columns and Corinthian capitals; C19 pews; C19 stone pulpit with ballflower and cross and Lombardic lettering in marble; C17 Royal arms on wood panel; C19 glass. (RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 48-49, no I. Newman J and Pevsner N: The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p 302).
Listing NGR: ST8490925238
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 48-49
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 302
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.