STOCK HOUSE 47 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1152503
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
STOCK HOUSE 47 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOCK HOUSE 47 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152503.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 16:27:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
STOCK HOUSE 47 METRES SOUTH OF THE MANOR HOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Freethorpe
National Grid Reference:
TG 41147 04986

Details



FREETHORPE

TG405W THE GREEN 1807- /7/35 (East side) 20/02152 Stock House approx 47 m south of the Manor House (Formerly Listed as: THE GREEN Stockhouse 47m South of Manor Farm)

GV II*

Stock house. Fated R.W. 1828, built for the Walpole family who owned Freethorpe in the 19th century. Brick-built with main body thatched and outshuts tiled. 2-storey central block with sinffic-storey outshuts on either side. Front (west) facade with central double doors under brick arch up to caves height; half-moon central window above with date plaque in gable. Identical cast facade, but double door has been blocked in and replaced by single width door. North and south sides with central long rectangular slatted ventilation windows between eaves and outshut roof line. North outshut much rebuilt, but south original with four doorways, one now blocked, others with stable doors, from stock pens into yard. Doorway at each end of outshut into yards. INTERIOR: The outshuts are aisles the central body of the building and each was linked to it by four archways. Those on the south remain whilst much of the north side has been rebuilt and all but one wide arch blocked, but a much narrower arch survives just inside the front door, perhaps originally leading to a staircase up to the granary. Only half of the granary floor remains and this is no access, but the dividing walls of two bins can be seen from below. The roof and upper gable walls have been plastered (to prevent dust getting into the grain). Roof of 4 morticed collars, strengthened with iron ties, and one row of butt purlins wedged into principle rafters. The central area has a concreted floor, the south outshut has original cobbled floor. Three original stalls with wooden partitions and feeding troughs running between the arches survive at back (cast) end of south aisle; 2 provided standing for 2 beasts each with iron brackets for holding the chain on each post; the end stall would have held one animal; thus there would probably have been stalling for 9-10 beasts down each side. HISTORICAL NOTE: This building is the most complete example of probably not more than half a dozen surviving stock houses of a type described in this area on the marshland fringe, by William Marshall in his Agriculture of Norfolk 1787, vol 2 p.274-5. As such, it is a very rare and historically significant example (within the context of the "agricultural revolution") of purpose-built livestock accommodation. Part of a group with the ham and cart shed (qqv).



Listing NGR: TG4114704986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228612
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marshall, W, Agriculture of Norfolk274-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05534/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].