OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1152693

Date first listed: 18-Apr-1985

Statutory Address: OLD RECTORY, 81, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1152693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 02:01:58.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD RECTORY, 81, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: North Creake

National Grid Reference: TF 85516 37708

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 83 NE NORTH CREAKE CHURCH STREET (east)

5/39 No 81 (Old Rectory)

II -

Former Rectory house. 1845 by S. S. Teulon, architect, for the Hon. the Rev. Thomas Robert Keppel, incumbent 1844-1863. Red brick with gault brick dressings slate roofs. Picturesque domestic Gothic with Tudor details, not yet in characteristic style of Teulon's High Victorian maturity. 2 storey with attics. Multi-gabled facades of complex opposed axis, main east-west axis of entrance gable wing crossed by double depth roofed north-south axis of reception rooms. Single bay entrance gable to west has off-centre porch with arched entrance, semi-octagonal angle piers with crowning pedestals, gabled parapet with central finial. 3 light traceried glazed inner door, 3 light cast iron casements to north and south returns with close set glazing bars. 2 flanking rectangular casements. First floor has rectangular gault brick 3 light oriel with bracketted corbelled base and cornice, inscription "Anno Domini1845". 2 light attic gable casement. Gault brick quoins, kneelers and gable tumbling, coped parapet and bracketted out 2 shaft apex stack with moulded coping. North and south returns have single rectangular headed casements to ground and first floor. Bay to north of entrance front has one ground and one first floor 2 light casement, one eaves level gabled 2 light semi-dormer. North return has eaves stack with 3 shafts. South bay of entrance front has external stack with single ground and first floor plate glass sashes incorporated in external chimney breast, battered base and 2 semi-octagonal stacks, gault brick dressings. South front west gable has 2 storey shallow rectangular gault brick bow with one 3 light ground and one 2 light first floor casements. Coped gable has apex finial with metal pennant with architect's initials SST. South front east bay has ground floor 3 sided canted bay with 3 casement cross windows, battlemented parapet, one first floor 3 light casement semi-dormer. North front has on entrance axis one ground floor shallow bow with one 4 light and one attic gable 2 light casement, coped gable with central finial. Bay to south east has external chimney breast with 3 shaft stack. Roof of entrance axis wing has central wooden octagonal lantern with tracery and tinted glass rising to central spire and finial. To north a gabled 2 storey kitchen wing with west gable elaborate gault brick dressed external breast supporting Gothic arched apex bellcote with battered head, pedestal with weather vane with patron's initials TRK (Thomas Robert Keppel). Porch with crow-stepped gable parapet at north. Single storey wing attached at north connects at right angles with 2 storey cottages with one ground and one first floor 4 light casement, coped parapets and gable end stacks. At north 3 bay stable range with central gabled semi-dormer loft door. At right angles to west 3 bay carriage range, all with coped parapet gables. Interior: Staircase and ground floor hall later C19 replacement in Jacobethan classical style, rectangular landing well open to lantern. Room at south-west with Sylvester patent grate. Late C19 Barnard Bishop and Barnard of Norwich grates with Japanese motifs. Scale and lavishness of house explained by wealth of the incumbent, youngest son of 4th Earl of Ablemarle, and status of living, the richest in the Diocese of Norwich.

Listing NGR: TF8551637708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 221571

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing