Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1154192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Oct-2020 at 20:51:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stroud (District Authority)
Frampton on Severn
National Grid Reference:
SO 74805 07980


FRAMPTON-ON-SEVERN THE GREEN SO 7407-7507 (west side) 10/131 Manor Farmhouse (formerly included under The Green, East Side) 10.1.55 GV I Manor farmhouse, traditionally the birthplace of Fair Rosamund Clifford in 1144 but earliest part to south east corner probably early C15. Remainder of main house mostly early C16, with early C17 or late C16 wing to north. Ashlar ground floor to main house, with close studded timber-framed upper floor mostly with S-shape bracing, stone slate roof. South east wing in large panel framing, north wings in square panel on ashlar plinth only. Rear faced in brick above ashlar and left hand return to east also with brick outer wall. Very large external stacks to south in ashlar, and to east with brick above ashlar base and 2 very large square flues with decorative caps. North wing also has 2 large brick flues with decorative caps. Originally a 3-sided courtyard plan, with service wings to north on ashlar plinth forming U-shape, main part of house having rear wing to left as oldest section, jettied gable to front on left and 2-storey projecting porch to right. Mainly 2 storeys and attic. Ground floor has two 6-light stone mullions with arched lights, king mullions, releaded early glass and square hoodmoulds with pentagonal stops. Narrow wooden arched lights to first floor. Jettied end to left has moulded wood bressumer as does jetty on porch to right which has arched opening with square hoodmould, inner stone seats and double vertical battened doors with horizontal cross planks to inside. Service wing to north has scattered fenestration including one early 6-pane wooden light to far right. South east wing also jettied to east and with arched wind bracing in roof, originally with small internal spiral stair lit by small stone lights and reached by very small pointed archways on each floor, with door still existing on ground floor, said to be the part connected with Rosamund. Interior generally retains much of the original timber-framed walls and doorways and has 2 fine stone fireplaces on each floor to the external stacks. Hall to left of porch has plain moulded Perpendicular fireplace and C16 arms of Codrington family in glass to left. Parlour to far left has very unusual carved fireplace, thought possibly to have a religious connection and to have come from elsewhere. Very large low chamfered arch to north end of north wing, probably originally the kitchen range. (Christopher Hussey, Country Life Vol LXII, 1927; V.C.H., Gloucestershire Vol X, 1972; David Verey, Buildings of England; Gloucestershire - The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980.)

Listing NGR: SO7480507980


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 62, (1927)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13897/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Leaver . Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].