CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1155799

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH GATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1155799 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:53:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH GATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Thatcham

National Grid Reference: SU 51648 67229

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THATCHAM CHURCH GATE (north side) SU 5167 8/25 Church Of St.Mary 6.4.67

GV II*

Church. C12 and later including C13 arcade and C15 north aisle, rebuilt in 1857 by Thomas Hellyer in Decorated style with plinth, hood moulds and parapetted gables. Flint with stone dressings, some coursed rubble in tower and north aisle, tiled roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, south aisle with chapel to east, south porch, chancel and vestry. West tower; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses, newel turret to south west, string course with gargoyles and embattled parapet. 3-light bell chamber openings with panelled tracery, and C19 west doorway. South aisle; 3 bays with 2-light windows; Danvers chapel to east, 3 bays, 2-light windows with panelled tracery, and 3-light window to east. C12 south doorway of 3 orders with scalloped capitals, and chevron ornament on arch. C19 gabled south porch with angle buttresses. North aisle: 3 bays, 2-light windows with panelled tracery; square headed door between first and second bays from west. 3-light window with panelled tracery at east end, with small cusped one light opening in gable above. Chancel:one lancet to south, and door with hood mould to right; 3-light east window with panelled tracery. Interior: 3 bay north and south nave arcades with square piers and chamfered arches. North aisle windows have chamfered rear arches, and shafts with moulded bases and capitals. Large C19 Norman style chancel arch. South aisle chapel has C15 flat panelled roof, all others C19. All fittings C19. Monuments: stone chest tomb with trefoiled panels to Sir William Danvers of 1504 in south aisle chapel; alabaster wall tablet with kneeling figures to Nicholas Fuller of 1620 in chancel. V.C.H. Vol.3. pp.323-325. B.O.E.Berkshire. p.239. Murray's Berkshire Architectural Guide. Betjeman and Piper. 1949. p.146.

Listing NGR: SU5164867231

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 39627

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 323-325
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 239
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 146

End of official listing