CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156049

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:25:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Plenmeller with Whitfield

National Grid Reference: NY 77926 56863

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 75 NE PLENMELLER WITH WHITFIELD WHITFIELD

8/199 Church of the Holy Trinity 24.11.67 II*

Parish Church 1859-60 by A.B. Higham of Wakefield and Newcastle. Squared stone with dressings, grey slate roof. Cruciform plan with central tower and spire, 3-bay north nave aisle and north organ chamber, south porch. Free Early English style with good detail and much foliage carving. Stepped buttresses between bays and paired at angles; sill string course. Four-bay nave with porch in second bay. Side windows paired lancets with paired rear arches divided by free-standing shafts; west end has two lancets, divided by a stepped buttress, and a rose window over. Transept gables similar without the rose. Three-bay chancel with single lancets in side walls, triple in the east end. Central tower has triple-lancet belfry openings below a corbel table of trefoiled arches; stone broach spire. Interior: heavily-moulded arcade and crossing arches with dog-tooth decoration. Tierceron vault under tower; roof timbers carried on ornate corbels. Contemporary fittings, including windows by Powell. Carved reredos of 1891 flanked by trefoil-headed marble panels.

The church was built by Rev. and Mrs.J.A. Blackett Ord, in memory of her uncle William Ord from whom she inherited the Whitfield Estate.

Listing NGR: NY7792656863

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240316

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing