CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1156385

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, A4173

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:52:30.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, A4173

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Pitchcombe

National Grid Reference: SO 85152 08255

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 8408-8508 PITCHCOMBE A4173 (east side)

9/182 Church of St John the Baptist

28.6.60

GV II

Parish church. 1819 by William Franklin; chancel and porch added 1870 by Medland and Son. Ashlar limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with west tower, south porch and chancel. Two large 3-light pointed windows to north and south nave walls each with reticulated tracery. Two shallow buttresses to each side, lining through with tower, formerly had moulded finial tops - now removed. Tower projects slightly from west end, tall 2-light west window being set over pointed arched west doorway with brattished top. Perpendicular style 2-light west nave window to each side of tower. Pilaster angle tower buttresses and tall belfry openings result in rather attenuated effect. Hollow moulded cornice below crenellated top, stumpy corners formerly with openwork pinnacles - also removed. Parapet gabled south porch; pointed archway and similar doorway within. Large east window with geometrical tracery. Interior: broad nave with trussed roof. Baptistery and sacristy set in west part of nave, either side of tower, each with high pointed archway. Wide moulded chancel arch. Some good monuments, mostly early C19. Stained glass to east window; north west window has glass by Butler and Bayne, 1898. A rather plain gaunt church in a prominent position overlooking the Painswick valley. Replaced a medieval church with saddleback tower. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8515208255

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132741

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing