DOMUS AND RUINS OF LAY FRATER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1156631
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
DOMUS AND RUINS OF LAY FRATER

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOMUS AND RUINS OF LAY FRATER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 19:18:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOMUS AND RUINS OF LAY FRATER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Beaulieu
National Park:
NEW FOREST
National Grid Reference:
SU 38796 02579

Details

BEAULIEU BEAULIEU MANOR ESTATE SU 3802/3902 17/16 Domus and ruins of lay 8.10.59 frater. GV I Domus and ruins of lay frater, now museum and restaurant. Late C13, altered C17, C18 restored 1900-10 and c1970. Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Long range on north-south axis, north part complete Domus over cellarium and passage to cloister, middle part was vaulted with now destroyed lay frater, south part is much altered and of uncertain use. Main front, to west of domus part has,at north end, C20 medieval style gabled porch with bell-cast roof and wide archway with segmental arch. Along rest of ground floor rectangular lancets and near south end 2 tall pointed lancets. Between window types is C13 pointed doorway. On 1st floor central part has rectangular lancet, to north on roof face large stack and C16 cross-window, to south similar window. Brick stack at south end.Rectangular, louvred, hip-roofed vent. To north gable wall. North end rebuilt C16 as it was originally against south aisle and west face of church. Round-headed and square-headed archway, over 2 C16 cross-windows under labels. Inside part of ground floor has single chamfered ribs on corbels. On 1st floor Queen-strut roof with large tie-beams. Ruined part has remains of lancets on west, and C20 archway. C20 toilet blocks have been built inside this part and south part. Remains of vaults visible. South part has at end C13 3-order round-headed arch reset here from St Leonard's Chapel (qv) in C20. VCH; Vol IV; 1911; p652-4. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p94-6.

Listing NGR: SU3872802453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143277
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 652-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 94-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11803/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barry Senior. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].