CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1156637
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 20:14:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Shelsley Walsh
National Grid Reference:
SO 72158 62966

Details

SO 76 SW; 5/175

SHELSLEY WALSH CP, SHELSLEY WALSH

Church of St Andrew

29.07.59

GV

I

Parish church. C12, altered C13 and restored 1859 by G Truefitt; repaired 1980. Tufa blocks, some coursed and some coursed and squared, freestone dressings; plain-tiled roof and timber bell turret. Consists of nave and chancel only, with C19 additions of bell turret and south porch.

C12 nave of three bays with two tall round-headed windows and one thin lancet window (restored) to the north side and a paired and single lancet (restored) on the south side with a small round-headed window high up in the centre; 2-light plate tracery, C19 west window. Square timber bell turret (1859) with pyramidal roof and three cusped louvred windows to each side. C19 north porch of ashlar with a steep gabled roof; cusped timber outer archway. C12 north door with single order of columns with scalloped capitals, plain tympanum and deep zig-zag enrichment to the arch. Chancel is mostly C13 with north wall rebuilt in C16; single paired lancet window on north side, paired and single lancet on south side and 3-light stepped lancet east window, all mid-C19 but with some original stonework to the inner parts.

INTERIOR: Fine tie- and collar-beam roof of six main trusses and intermediate tie-beam rafter trusses with ashlar posts, the three easternmost trusses have raking and straight struts which have foiled and serrated inner braces forming geometrical patterns, thought to be late C14-early C15 but possibly later and restored. The chancel is ceiled with boards which are painted blue and enriched with gold stars. Moulded roof beam with double row of vine leaf ornament; C20 cross. Excellent late C15 rood screen with linenfold lower panels open and traceried upper panels and upper rails enriched with vine leaf and cresting; at the south east the screen continues, simplified in detail, to enclose a former chapel. Tall, cylindrical C12 font with moulded base. Trefoil-headed piscina, the cill of which is undercut with dogtooth. Chancel floor has C15 tiles in various floral and geometric designs. Painted wooden chest tomb to Frances Walsh, died 1596; arcaded side panels with heraldic painting, Mannerist pilasters and moulded top with painted inscription. Marble baroque style monument to Elizabeth Plampin, died 1732, gadrooned base with winged cherubs, armorial bearings above.

Listing NGR: SO7214362941

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
152391
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/04529/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Rebecca A Duncan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].