SOUTHROP MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1156690

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Statutory Address: SOUTHROP MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTHROP MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156690 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:23:34.

Location

Statutory Address: SOUTHROP MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Southrop

National Grid Reference: SP 20231 03447

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHROP SOUTHROP VILLAGE SP 1903-2003 14/212 Southrop Manor 23.1.52 GV II* Large manor house. Part C12, mostly mid-late C17; early C18 re- fronting, early C19 additions and 1926 alterations by Norman Jewson. Random rubble limestone, largely roughcast rendered; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roofs. Mostly 2-storey with attic; main range runs east to west with wings at each end. South front: altered by Jewson from C18 sash-windowed facade. Roughly central pedimented doorway with eared architraves and pulvinated frieze; C20 glazed door. Oval windows with moulded architraves flank doorway. Fenestration mostly recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, 3 + 3-light with king mullion to ground floor left, 3 cross windows to right. Seven 2-light upper floor casements, all with leaded casements. East front: 2 moulded parapet gables to left. Mixed fenestration, canted bay window to ground floor, left of Tudor arched doorway in mullioned and transomed screen. Various other 2, 3 and 2 + 2-light casements, all C20 restored. West side: 2 gables, right to end of main range with slit at base reputedly providing means to pass food to priests' holes in cellar below this part of building. Gable to left has 2 and 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned fenestration; single gabled roof dormer. North side: various additions to main range. Early C19 court room addition to end of east front with hipped roof and two 12-pane sashes with hoodmoulds. Interior: round arched Norman doorway to dining room with chevron order and jamb shafts, was repositioned in 1926 alterations. Fine plasterwork frieze by Jewson depicts Cotswold animals and leaf patterns (c.f. similar work at Cotswold Farm, Duntisbourne Abbots CP). Drawing room contains mid C18 marble fireplace moved from Lechlade Manor. Other rooms have C17 panelling, not in original positions. South west corner of house appears to be C12 in origin with set of later priests' holes in cellar. Underground passage (now closed off) leads from cellar to church chancel. (N.M. Herbert, 'Southrop' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp. 129-136; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SP2024003445

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 127460

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1981), 129-136
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing