Church of St Gregory

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1156879
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
Church of St Gregory, Castlemorton

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Gregory
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1156879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 21:20:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Gregory, Castlemorton

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Castlemorton
National Grid Reference:
SO 79489 37251

Details

SO 73 NE 4/33

CASTLEMORTON CP Church of St Gregory

25.03.68

GV I Church. Early C12 with C13 and C14 additions, arcade re-built mid-C17, restored 1879-80. Stone rubble with tile roofs. Comprises a west tower with stone spire, nave, north porch, south aisle, south transeptal chapel and lower chancel.

The tower has diagonal buttresses with niches and a south-east stair turret. The spire is set back behind an embattled parapet. The bell openings are each of a single trefoiled light. The west window is of three trefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. In the west wall of the aisle is a chamfered lancet window.

The north wall of the nave is of three bays: The left-hand window is of one light with low transom and a trefoiled ogee head: The middle window is of three cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The right-hand window is of three trefoiled lights under a pointed head.

The timber-framed porch, to the right of the second window, is close-studded with a middle rail. The C12 doorway has a round arch with zig-zag ornament, and angle shafts with scalloped capitals: The tympanum is carved with the Agnus Dei.

The south aisle has a three-light C15 window under a pointed head: To its right is a reset doorway similar to the north doorway but with a blank tympanum.

The south chapel has a hipped roof and a three-light south window with cusped intersecting tracery: In the east wall of the chapel is a window of two trefoiled lights: On the south side of the chancel is a window of two cinquefoiled lights under a flat head, and a priest's doorway to the left: In the north wall are two narrow round-headed C12 windows, reset when the chancel was rebuilt during the C19 restoration. The east window is C19 and of three cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head.

INTERIOR: tall tower arch pointed and chamfered in two orders. The south arcade is of three and a half bays. The arches are pointed and roughly four-centred, chamfered in two orders and springing from piers which are octagonal except for the western one, which is circular: The nave roof has rafters with arch-braced collars. High up in the north wall are two bracketed niches with elaborate carved canopies: The chancel arch is pointed and chamfered in two orders which die into the responds.

The font has a bowl carved with acanthus foliage on an octagonal base: In the south transept is a C18 baluster font, and, in the east wall, a C13 piscina with pointed head. The communion rails have flat pierced balusters inscribed: "R H S B 1684. Robert Archer Minister. J B W B 1683".

Listing NGR: SO7948937253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
153174
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 51

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15775/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].