CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159301

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAUL'S TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2019 at 03:20:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, ST PAUL'S TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Urpeth

National Grid Reference: NZ 22969 53080

Details

URPETH ST. PAUL'S TERRACE NZ 25 SW (West side) West Pelton 3/67 Church of St. Paul II

Parish church. 1879 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks of Newcastle for patrons John and Edward Joicey. Dressed sandstone and graduated green slate roofs. Continuous, aisleless nave and chancel; north and south transepts; south porch on nave; 2 north vestries on chancel; extruded bell tower with spire between chancel and south transept. Austere Perpendicular style.

4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under continuous roof. Chancel taller than nave owing to slope of ground. Chamfered plinth and sill bands. Windows with leaded panes, iron glazing bars and cusped trefoil-headed lights. Nave: tall pointed 4-light west window; 2 square-headed 4-light windows on north and south; pointed south doorway in porch. Chancel windows set high: 3- and 2-light square- headed windows on south; pointed 3-light window on angle-buttressed east end. Steeply-pitched roof carried down at west end of nave to form pent roof of wide porch. Porch has carved wood screen with shaped bench -ends and 3-centred arch. Lower twin-gabled and angle-buttressed transepts; each with two 3-light pointed windows under hoodmoulds. Gabled choir vestry has Tudor-arched doorway and 2-light mullioned window. Vicar's vestry to east has 5-light mullioned window and a pent roof carried directly down from the chancel roof. Tall and slender, octagonal-plan bell tower on square base: 2 stages plus belfry and spire; belfry has square-headed 2-light openings and an embattled parapet; short octagonal- plan stone spire.

Plain and plastered interior. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch dying into wall. 2-bay arcades, with similar arches and central octagonal piers, divide transepts from nave. Panelled chancel with mosaic sanctuary floor. 1892 east window by C.E. Kempe of London. 1921 World War I memorial of marble in nave. Slightly-pointed, compartmented barrel roofs to nave and chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ2296953080

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109411

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing