CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1161190
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, EAST BANK ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161190.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2020 at 19:56:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, EAST BANK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sunk Island
National Grid Reference:
TA 26755 18990

Details

SUNK ISLAND EAST BANK ROAD TA 21 NE (north side) 10/79 Church of The Holy Trinity GV II Parish church. 1876-7 by Ewan Christian. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar bands to nave; limestone ashlar dressings. Westmorland slate roof. 4-bay nave with short passage to south-west porch tower, 2-bay apsidal chancel with vestry adjoining to north side. Chamfered plinth. Single buttress between nave and chancel with tumbled-in brick to offsets. 2-stage tower: tall first stage has pointed chamfered south doorway beneath brick hoodmould with ashlar stops, single lancet above; single lancet to west; apsidal stair turret to east with slit-lights, dentilled cornice and half-conical roof with ashlar fleur-de-lys finial. Moulded string course. 2-light plate-traceried belfry openings with pierced roundels above twin lancets, continuous pointed hoodmould, stepped and cogged brick cornice, short pyramidal spire with ball finial and weather-cock. Passage between tower and nave has single lancets. Nave: single lancets and stepped triple lancet to south, single lancets to north, large plate-traceried west window with tall central lancet flanked by pairs of shorter lancets with pierced roundels above, beneath pointed arch and hoodmould. Single lancets to chancel. All windows in chamfered brick reveals with ashlar sills and imposts, continuous brick hoodmoulds; some windows to chancel have wrought- iron bars with fleur-de-lys finials. Vestry has square-headed east door, ornate chimney with corbelled shafts, moulded string course and corbelled head. Continuous roof with deep eaves and exposed rafter ends, stone-coped west gable with shaped kneelers. Interior. Porch has pointed triple- chamfered inner arch, passage has pointed chamfered door to nave. Nave open to chancel, with round arch to chancel of twin moulded timber ribs with panelled soffit, on square brick piers with scalloped ashlar capitals. Pointed roll-moulded arch with hoodmould to vestry. Scissor-braced roof to nave, ceiled half-domed wagon roof to chancel with brattished wall-plate and herringbone timber panels. Minton tiles to chancel. Oak altar rail on ornate cast-iron supports. Stained glass of 1889-90. Marble wall tablets re-set from earlier church: to Ann Grayburn of 1846 with draped urn, to William Johnson of 1846 with books in moulded pediment, to Mary Lambert of 1836 with pediment and dove, similar tablet to John Lambert of 1850. One of Christian's more accomplished churches, contemporary with his neighbouring vicarage (qv). Declared redundant c1983. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 352; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 139.

Listing NGR: TA2675518990

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166621
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/04395/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].