CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1162001
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162001.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 07:15:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Clyst Hydon
National Grid Reference:
ST 03542 01675

Details

CLYST HYDON ST 00 SW 2/17 Church of St Andrew 30.6.61 GV I

Parish church. C15, renovated 1885 - 86 with new north aisle. The C15 work is coursed blocks of volcanic trap with some red sandstone and has Beerstone ashlar detail; the 1885-6 work is snecked red sandstone with Bathstone ashlar detail; slate roof. Plan: nave and chancel with north and south aisles (neither are quite full length), south porch and west tower. Exterior: west tower of 2 stages with set-back buttresses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. On the north side is a semi-hexagonal stair turret with an external doorway. The belfry windows have Flamboyant tracery; they are very weathered and therefore maybe C15. The tower west doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and hoodmould. The window above is missing its tracery and mullions. The south aisle is C15; it has set-back buttresses and an embattled parapet over a moulded eaves cornice which includes carved gargoyles at intervals. The south porch is left of centre. It too has set back-buttresses and an embattled parapet but here the merlins are pierced by quatrefoils. The outer arch is a depressed 4-centred arch with a moulded surround and hood which includes a carved angel holding armorial bearings at the apex. The porch roof is a Beerstone fan vault with cusped panels and central carved boss featuring a Tudor Rose. The south doorway is a 2-centred arch with moulded surround and contains C19 double doors in Gothic style. There are 4 windows on the south side; one to left of the porch and 3 to right. All are 3 lights and have depressed 4-centred arch heads and contain Perpendicular tracery and there are similar 3-light windows each end. The break between nave and chancel (or aisle and south chapel) is marked by a projecting semi- octagonal rood stair turret which rises above the aisle parapet and has its own embattled parapet. Alongside to right is a small priest's doorway. The chancel east window was rebuilt in the C19; it is 3 lights with Flamboyant tracery and hoodmould. The C19 north aisle has 4-light windows with Flamboyant tracery each end and on the north side three 3-light windows with cusped Y-tracery. Interior: the nave, north and south aisles, chancel and tower have ceiled wagon roofs with moulded ribs and purlins and carved oak bosses. All are painted and therefore it is not possible to determine if any is C15; certainly the north aisle and tower roofs are C19. Tall plain tower arch. C19 chancel arch has a moulded surround springing from moulded land carved corbels. The south aisle has a C15 Beerstone 4-bay arcade (1 overlapping the chancel). The piers are moulded Pevsners's type A) and have carved capitals. The north aisle has a C19 5-bay arcade (with 2 overlapping the chancel) in the same style as the south arcade. In the south aisle there is a small Beerstone doorway with a segmental head and moulded surround to the rood stair which is still open. The walls are plastered and the floor is stone flags including some C18 grave slabs. Most of the furniture and fittings are C19. The altar is flanked by Gothic style boards painted with the text of the Lords Prayer. C19 oak altar rail on wrought iron standards. No stalls as such. The plain pine lectern is probably C20. C19 oak pulpit with octagonal drum with Gothic style enrichment. The nave and aisles have oak box pews, the best made (or remade) with fielded panelling. It is an interesting sociological point that the pulpit can only be gained through the squire's (or Huish family) pew. The Beerstone font is of indeterminate date but is probably C19. It has an unembellished octagonal bowl on a plain octagonal stem. The ogee oak font cover is C17. The chancel contains a good group of marble mural memorials mostly in memory of members of the Huish family. The oldest is dated 1633 and the best is on the north side and dated 1764. The south aisle has painted Commandment boards. The nave and aisles contain C19 wrought iron lamp brackets. There is some good C19 glass here. The East window is signed E. Baillie, London, 1850, and instead of the usual Biblical scene it has the Huish arms. The glass is particularly impressive in the mouchettes of the Flamboyant tracery.

Listing NGR: ST0354401682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
86777
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/16009/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].