CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166452
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 22:44:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW AND ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
How Caple
National Grid Reference:
SO 61159 30542

Details

HOW CAPLE CP HOW CAPLE SO 63 SW 2/30 Church of St Andrew and St Mary 25.2.66 GV II* Parish church. C14 chancel; west tower, nave and south transept 1693-5, further restoration and alterations 1889 and 1910-12, also during 1920's and 30's. Sandstone rubble and ashlar, slate roof. West porch, west tower, nave with south porch and south transept, chancel. West porch added during 1930's, west tower dated 1693, three stages, two moulded string courses, embattled parapet, diagonal stepped buttresses, 2-light window to second and third stage; nave, two trefoiled ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil to left of former south porch, similar 2-light window in former doorway of porch; gable end of south transept to right with 3-light window in C14 style, 2-light windows to left and right returns; chancel to right with restored early C14 window, two cinquefoil-headed lights to left, and C14 two trefoil-headed lights to right; east window: C14, three cinquefoil-headed lights with vertical tracery. Interior: C17 roof to nave, C16 ceiled roof to chancel with bosses; fittings: late C17 screen with twisted columns and arch, supporting Royal Arms of William III. C12 font, octagonal bowl with haphazard folial and geometric motifs; heavily sculpted reredos of the Last Supper, 1918. South transept mainly Gregory memorials: William Gregory 1765, wall tablet, relief with putto and urn; north wall of nave largely rebuilt during early 1920's with memorial windows to members of Lee family. The early C16 German diptych mentioned by Pevsner not in situ September 1985. (BoE, p 19; RCHM Vol I, p 91-92).

Listing NGR: SO6115930542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154289
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931), 91-92
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 19

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15502/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Tudhope. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].