Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168557.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 02:42:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
Ewerby and Evedon
National Grid Reference:
TF 09283 47594


EWERBY AND EVEDON EVEDON TF 04 NE 2/20 Church of St. Mary 1/2/67 G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, aisle demolished 1809, restored 1898. Limestone ashlar, coursed limestone rubble, lead, Collyweston and slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. C13 west tower of 2 stages, chamfered plinth, stepped angle buttresses, hollow moulded string course, embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. In the north wall a stone bears a shield inscribed with a cross. In the belfry stage a pair of louvred chamfered lancets to the south with matching surround. To the west a large 5 light window of 1898, stepped lancets to the lower part, geometric tracery above. In the belfry stage a 2 light window with double chamfered reveals and chamfered mullion. The north belfry light matches that to the south. The north nave wall has an offset and contains 2 C19 windows of 2 and 3 lights with cusped tracery. C19 gabled vestry has a door and cusped Y traceried window to the east. In the north wall of the chancel is a blocked 2 light window matching that in the west wall of the nave. C19 east window of 3 lights, Y traceried with roll moulded ribs. Reset C14 female head to gable which bears a cross. The chancel south wall has a wide blocked opening. The nave south wall has a wide blocked C14 pointed archway to vanished south aisle. Wave moulded triple shafted reveals and head. Gabled C19 south porch with setback buttresses, chamfered plinth, side benches and double chamfered rounded outer arch. C16 inner doorway, double chamfered, round headed, with run out stops to bases of the reveals. Interior: 2 bays of late C13 north arcade remain, quatrefoil quirked and filleted shafts, annular capitals with nailhead decoration, double chamfered arches with hollow moulded hoods. To the south a single C14 arcade bay, wave moulded on the exterior. Late C13 tower arch rests on rounded corbels, pointed and double chamfered head, a moulded string course runs out from the imposts. C13 chancel arch with engaged filleted shafted reveals with nailhead decoration matching the north arcade, double chamfered pointed arch with moulded hood. To left an inserted C14 pointed arched doorway to roof loft stairs; the upper doorway has a 4 centred arched head. In the south wall of the chancel, a panel of miscellaneous sculptures occupies the site of the sedilia. Most of the pieces are C13 and C14 and include a praying male figure with seaweed carved background. Fittings: chancel east window by W. E. Dixon depicts Christ in Majesty attended by SS Peter and Mark, Archangels and others. The west window is also by Dixon. C19 octagonal pulpit contains some C18 woodwork. C14 octagonal font richly carved with cusped blank tracery to the sides and stem, armorial shields and the initials AR. In the nave a cast iron tortoise stove inscribed 'Slow but sure combustion'. Monuments: on the south nave wall a brass plate depicting Sir Daniell Hardeby, d.1630, kneeling at a prie dieu opposite his wife and attended by their children, above is a shield of arms. Another Daniel Hardeby, d.1705, is commemorated by a white marble wall plaque beneath an escutcheon. In the chancel a scrolled broken pedimented limestone wall plaque with fluted Doric pillars to the Rev. Rowland Fox, d.1722, enriched with flowers, cherubs and an hourglass. Also in the chancel, a Neo Classical wall tablet to members of the Bailey family including Maria, d.1804, a gadrooned panel with triglyphs, cornice, paterae and fluted urn.

Listing NGR: TF0928347594


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06601/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].