CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1174148
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1174148.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2020 at 04:54:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Hertsmere (District Authority)
Parish:
Elstree and Borehamwood
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17890 95394

Details

TQ 1795 ELSTREE HIGH STREET (East side) Elstree

14/161 Church of 25.2.52 St. Nicholas

CV II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1853 by P.C. Hardwick on foundations of medieval church re-using some C15 stones and retaining N aisle of 1824 by Lewis W. Wyatt. Additions of 1880 by A Blomfield and c.1897. Brick faced with knapped flint. Stone dressings. Tiled roof. Polychrome Gothic Revival Style. 5 bay nave with N and S aisles. Chancel with S organ bay and N vestry. Tower to SW. Stone capped plinth, continuous stone sill band. Random square stones set in flint facing. Stone quoins. Coped parapets with carved kneelers to all gables. S aisle retains mid to late C15 door surround: 4-centred arch under a square head with hood mould, half moulded jambs to chamfer. Rose and shield in spandrels. Single lancet to left and 2 paired lancets to right, trefoiled heads. Central buttress. 3 gabled dormers, 3 round-headed leaded lights to each. Aisle roofs pitched just below nave eaves. N aisle: 3 single and 1 paired lancet. Diagonal buttresses and intermediate straight buttresses. Chancel: slightly lower than nave, large 5-light E window with ornate tracery. Angle buttresses. Sill string course returned onto 2 bay organ extension to S of 1880, twin gables and 2 two light windows with carved stops to hoods. Angle buttresses. Central straight buttress with gargoyle. To N, 2 storey vestry: entrance to E, to N ground floor paired lancets, first floor 2-light window with carved stops to hood. Stack to right of gable. 1 storey link to N aisle of c.1897 has 2-light window with lintel inscribed to honour Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. W end: 4-light W window with angular tracery and stops to hood mould. Sill string course steps down to left. Buttress separates N aisle which has a 2-light window. Tower: angle buttresses. Pointed arch to W entrance with colonnettes in jambs, gabled head supports a statue in a sculpted niche. Clock to right of statue. To S a quatrefoil window with gabled head, slit windows to S and E in upper stage. Belfry over continuous quatre- foil frieze. Tall openings on all. sides are paired transomed lancets with trefoiled heads, colonnettes in jambs and hood moulds. Broached shingled spire. Octagonal stair turret to W, slit windows, finial at head. Interior: all but W respond of S arcade piers have C15 bases and lower shafts. Upper shafts, capitals and chamfered pointed arches to S and all of N arcade are of 1853 following C15 model. Nave roof retains 3 early arch braced collar beams, used as basis for C19 truss. Tall chamfered chancel arch, no responds, ceiled chancel roof. Chancel floor steps up in stages to E altar. W bay of S aisle is tower with entrance from nave, angled stair-turret door to SW. E end of N aisle: entrance to vestry link, remains of earlier window over door. Entrance to organ bays from S aisle, responds terminated below capitals. 2 bay arcade with heavy mouldings from chancel to organ bays. C15 font in W bay of N aisle. Octagonal bowl with quatrefoils, renewed link to stem which has an internal pillar cased in a hollow octagonal drum with pierced panels. Wrought metal work base to chancel screen by A.Blomfield, 1881. Painted quatrefoils and stars in spandrels of nave arcades and over chancel arch from 1853 decorative scheme. Monuments: N aisle near font, alabaster wall slab to Olive Buck, d.1603, aedicular with delicately carved Arms, ribbon ornament and metric inscription. S aisle to E of S door, aedicular wall slab to Samuel Nicoll, d.1723. Tower, on S wall 2 C18 wall slabs, to W.Sharpe, d.1767 and T.Beake, d.1732. C18 coffin plaques to Sharpe family at E end of N aisle. Glass:2 quatrefoils removed from 1853 E window repositioned in N aisle W bay and S window in tower.Baptistery window by Sir N.Comper.(RCHM 1910:VCH 1923:Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1789095394

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164212
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/12257/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Douglas Fairbank. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].