RETAINING WALLS AND ASSOCIATED GARDEN FEATURES ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF AMMERDOWN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1177422
Date first listed:
25-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
RETAINING WALLS AND ASSOCIATED GARDEN FEATURES ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF AMMERDOWN HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177422.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:24:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
RETAINING WALLS AND ASSOCIATED GARDEN FEATURES ON SOUTH AND EAST SIDES OF AMMERDOWN HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Mendip (District Authority)
Parish:
Kilmersdon
National Grid Reference:
ST 71182 52677

Details

KILMERSDON CP ST75SW AMMERD0WN PARK 6/l36 Retaining walls and associated garden features on south and east sides of Ammerdown House -

GV II*

Retaining walls, parapets, copings, steps, piers, gates, pool, figures and ornaments of parterre, yew garden and connecting paths. Begun mid C19; much altered and remodelled by Sir Edwin Lutyens after 1901, finished by c1920. On south and east side of house a lawned parterre, ground falls away to south, coursed and squared rubble retaining walls with dressed stone copings; walling to east facing yew garden, similar construction. Paved walk directly adjacent to house. Two sets of stone steps on broad path leading eastward to yew garden; steps semi-circular on plan, of dressed stone with half-round nosings, low flanking piers; one pair capped by enriched stone urns, the other by seated stone mythical winged beasts. To centre of south lawn a sundial on a stone vase pedestal; on east lawn a figure of Mercury on a stone drum pedestal. The eastern part of the parterre is bounded on north side by an elevated pergola on concrete Tuscan columns, which leads from a back door of the house; at its east end a small stone figure, again on a drum pedestal. Path from parterre leads down flight of stone steps, flanked by ball finials, into yew rotunda. Sculptured hedges supported on low coursed and squared rubble retaining walls, some copings. At centre of rotunda a circular stone- lined pool with carved bowl which forms a fountain. Four Classically garbed romantic Coadstone figures on concrete plinths look on. At east side of rotunda a pair of C17 ashlar gate piers with moulded caps and ball finials, wrought-iron gate; these piers frame a view of the adjoining parkland. To north of rotunda a circular rose garden, again enclosed by yew, coursed and squared rubble retaining walls, bronze astralobe on stone vase pier. Broad path on north-south axis leads to Orangery (qv), 3 flights of stone steps, cast-iron gates at exit from rotunda. South end of this path terminates in concealed flights of stone steps which lead down into the park, reconstituted stone figure on drum plinth looks on. On west side of path to Orangery 2 further statues on plinths and sundial with ball finial on a column. Although these items are scattered over quite a wide area they form an important group; therefore they are listed as a single entry rather than as individual items. (Country Life, Feb 16, March 2, and March 9, 1929).

Listing NGR: ST7118252677

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
267919
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 2 March, (1929)
'Country Life' in 16 February, (1929)
'Country Life' in 9 March, (1929)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10352/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].