This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1177793



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Woolstaston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259647

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/106 Woolstaston Hall 29.1.52 and garden wall adjoining to east


Country house, truncated. Circa 1675, partly demolished c.1784, with mid- to late C19 additions. Red brick (partly painted) with grey and brown sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped plain tile roof. Remaining southern wing of former H-plan house. 2 storeys and attic over basement. South front: plinth with chamfered stone (pp, chamfered quoins (to right), and plat band; central gabled dormer with 2-light wooden casement, external brick end stack to left with 2 x 3 panels to top and pitched-roofed link to attic, and integral brick lateral stack at rear. 7 bays (3 centre bays closely spaced); 4-pane sashes with gauged brick heads and rebuilt cills (first-floor right-hand sash is painted imitation). 3 steps up to central pair of doors, each with 4 raised and fielded panels; decaying sandstone doorcase consisting of panelled pilasters with husk drops hanging from grotesque heads, entablature with carved husk garlands, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice (breaking forward over pilasters), and steep triangular pediment with flanking urns. Right-hand return front (former front elevation) of 2 bays with plinth, quoins, moulded stone string course, and central gabled dormer with 2-light wooden casement. Rear: one-bay former return of wing to left with blind windows. Two C19 gabled wings to-right, one with brick ridge stack. Part of former C17 forecourt wall adjoining to east; red brick on sandstone rubble plinth with grey sandstone dressings; quoins at east end and moulded coping, ramped down slope; pair of C19 cast-iron gates at west end and C20 boarded door in centre. Interior of house: fairly complete late C17 and C18 fittings throughout including doors with 6 raised and fielded panels and H-hinges and window shutters with 4 raised and fielded panels. Hall: early to mid-C17 wainscot panelling (a number carved) with fluted frieze (said to have come from Church Stretton church). Entrance wall with tall raised and fielded bolection-moulded panels and moulded cornice; mid- to late C19 staircase and fireplace. Ground-floor left-hand room (former kitchen: bolection-moulded wainscot panelling; window wall with tall bolection moulded panels and moulded cornice; segmental-arched stone fireplace. Drawing room (ground-floor right): bolection-moulded wainscot panelling with dado rail; window walls with bolection-moulded raised and fielded panels and dado rail; fireplace with bolection moulded surround, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice, overmantel with bolection- moulded raised and fielded panelling with flanking panelled pilasters, and coved and moulded cornice, breaking forward over pilasters. Landing: moulded wainscot-panelling; doorways with moulded architraves and bolection- moulded panel above; moulded cornice; small bedroom taken out of landing has late C17 panelled door with strap hinges and remains of floral painting. Left-hand bedroom: fireplace with bolection moulded surround, reveals with Delft-like tiles, and bolection moulded raised and fielded panel above; coved and moulded cornice. Right-hand bedroom: blocked fireplace with bolection-moulded raised and fielded panel above; moulded cornice; dressing room with moulded cornice. Before its partial demolition the house contained 37 rooms. It had a balustraded parapet and a stone gateway in front with lions. The house ceased to be the residence of the lord of the manor on the death of Catherine Pope in 1754. After demolition c.1784 much of the panelling was taken to Apley Park (near Bridgnorth) but some was reused at The Farm, Leebotwood (q.v.). B.O.E., p.322; V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.173.

Listing NGR: SO4513098375

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 173
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 322

National Grid Reference: SO 45130 98375


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1177793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 04:25:42.

End of official listing