CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1181714
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1181714.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:27:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wilby
National Grid Reference:
TM 24148 72050

Details

WILBY THE STREET TM 27 SW

3/156 Church of St. Mary - 19.7.55 GV I

Parish church. Medieval. Nave, chancel, south aisle, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Leaded roofs. Fine C15 square tower in 3 stages with a crenellated parapet. Plinth, buttresses and parapet enriched with flushwork. Moulded west doorway with shield-carved spandrels; above is a frieze of flushwork and a 3-light window flanked by empty canopied niches. 2-light belfry openings. C15 4-bay nave with 3-light windows. Moulded north doorway (blocked). 7-bay clerestorey, faced with knapped flint and with flushwork panelling between the windows. C15 south aisle with 3-light windows, mostly renewed. Moulded doorway with shield- carved spandrels; original door. Fine C15 porch of knapped flint with a panelled stone facade. Entrance arch almost semi-circular, carved with various motifs; enriched hoodmould with shield-carved spandrels. Above is a row of 9 canopied niches with image stools, the centre niche larger. The parapet has cresting. The upper face of each buttress also contains a niche. C15 2-bay chancel with 2-light side windows and 3-light east window. Moulded Priest's doorway. Interior 3-bay aisle arcade. Good original arched-braced roofs to nave and chancel. The nave roof has fleuron bosses at the main intersections and the wall posts rest on stone corbels carved as heads. Original lean-to aisle roof with a little medieval colouring to the eastern bays; the angels at the foot of each wall post were added in C20. Simple piscinas in chancel and aisle. C15 octagonal font, the bowl panels carved with angels and figures of the Apostles, all under canopies; further canopied figures around the stem. Fine early C17 pulpit with backboard and tester, all richly carved. Nave has a set of 27 poppyhead bench-ends of C15 date, most with double arm-rests with mutilated carved figures. Other benches and chancel stalls of C19 date in matching style. Medieval painting of St. Christopher on north nave wall. Monuments to Green family at west end of aisle: a) tomb chest with 3 ledger slabs to George Green (1739), Jane Green (1744), Thomas Green (1730); front of tomb chest has a cartouche with 2 putto heads; b) good wall monument with medallion portrait of George Green held by 2 putti, set against a background of draped cloth, with a coat of arms above; c) C19 cartouche to further members of the family.

Listing NGR: TM2414872050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280276
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07728/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Atkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].