CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1182700
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1956
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1182700.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:05:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipton-under-Wychwood
National Grid Reference:
SP 27966 17980

Details

SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCHWOOD CHURCH STREET SP 2617-2717 7/46 Church of St Mary 27.8.56 GV I Parish Church. Early C13, extended C14, altered C15, restored 1859 by Diocesan Architect G E Street who virtually rebuilt the chancel. Rubble with freestone dressings, leaded roofs to nave and aisles, stone slate to chancel. 3-bay clere- storied nave with aisles extended as north and south chapels, south porch and west tower; vestry to north-east. Irregular plinths. Parapeted aisles and nave walls, high ptiched chancel roof. Principal feature is the 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses weathered to each stage and thus forming virtually clasping buttresses to upper stage; the tower is early-mid C13 and carried a heavy stone spire which has crude ball-capped pinnacles on shallow broaching, gabled lucarnes to cardinal faces capped by grotesques carrying crosses and which is finished off by a copper ball below the weathervane. The west doorway has developed C13 mouldings and ornament including the floral caps of nook shafts but retains chevron, here heavily undercut. The tower is flanked by lean-tos thought to represent C12 clasping aisles, the north one has a cusped arch doorway and is archaeologically more convincing than the south one which has been heavily bricked up. Slate tracery to bell chamber, bar tracery to lucarnes. North aisle has transitional Decorated - Perpendicular style tracery of late C14, more straight forwardly rectilinear tracery to clerestory and south side, east window large and with geometrical tracery (by Street), C14 moulded doorways to south porch and to south (Reade) chapel. The 2-storey south porch has niches flanking the chamber window containing quite good (if defaced) sculpture of mid C14 date: left-hand a single figure, thought to be St John, right-hand crocket- ted canopy over an elegant Annunication; vaulted ground floor. Interior plastered, see Pevsner for arcades, font, mediaeval stone pulpit and major monuments; the ogee cusped recess in north wall contains an earlier and overlarge effigy whose head is stuffed in on top of the body with ludicrous effect. Pews and choir stalls by Street; west window by Morris and Company some painted scenes of circa 1859 survive behind the organ. The interior is well described by Pevsner apart from the tower arches which are unusual and interesting: chamfered orders, moulded impost strips broken round, water-hold in bases, main arch to east, lower arches to north and south. A good parish church, the spire a bucolic version of Witney's. N Pevsner & J Sherwood: Oxfordshire (Building of England Series, 1974).

Listing NGR: SP2796617985

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251759
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/02448/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ash Ismail. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].