Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184023.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:54:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 26147 20165


LANDFORD STOCK LANE SU 22 SE (east side) 8/163 Church of St. Andrew 23/3/60


Anglican parish church. Cll, but almost entirely rebuilt 1858 by William Butterfield, north organ chamber 1882. English bond brick with bands of vitrified bricks, limestone dressings, tiled roof. Plan: nave, south aisle, south transept, chancel, north organ chamber and north porch. Gabled porch has timber-framed gable with wavy bargeboards, small lancets to sides. North side of nave has two 2-light geometric tracery windows with polychrome stone arches, moulded string course at sill level. Gabled organ chamber to left has diagonal buttresses and two cusped lancets and chamfered shouldered doorcase to north, lean-to to left has cusped lancets. East end has 3-light geometric tracery window with hoodmould and cross above in polychrome brickwork, angle buttresses. South side of chancel has 3-light plate tracery window. South transept has 2- light geometric window with hoodmould and tiny lights over, to left is lean-to with chamfered shouldered doorcase with strap hinges. South aisle has no south windows, catslide roof of two pitches, west end of aisle has cusped lancet. West end has two geometric windows and large central buttress carried up to octagonal bellcote with lancets and quatrefoils and oak-shingled conical roof. Interior: Porch has scissor-rafter,roof, reset late Cll doorway with shafts and simple volute capitals and nailhead ornament to abaci, round arch with roll, double C19 doors with decorative hinges. Nave has polychrome tiled floor, C12 sculpture with two figures, above door on north wall, 4½ bay roof with arch-braced collar, clasped purlins and arched windbracing. South aisle has two chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical C13-style pier. South transept has plastered wagon roof and fine collection of C18 memorial tablets, mostly to the Eyre family of Landford Manor (q.v.) such as a baroque marble on west wall with scrolled pediment to Elizabeth Eyre died 1758 and large marble on east wall with carved drapery and skull to Robert Eyre died 1793. Double- chamfered pointed chancel arch on half-conical corbels, 2-bay arched-braced collar roof and polychrome tile frieze to walls of chancel, south wall has sedilia and piscina. All fittings are by Butterfield, other than glass. Simple limestone octagonal font, wooden pulpit, pews and choir stalls, marble reredos of 1879. All windows with good stained glass, the east window of 1861 by Lavers and Barraud, the west windows also by them of 1858 and 1870, to designs of N. H. J. Westlake, tracery by J. M. Allen. Church rebuilt at a cost of £1490. (P. Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971,)

Listing NGR: SU2614720165


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17060/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Duncan Miller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].