UPPER WAT ING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1184456
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
UPPER WAT ING, LONDON ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184456.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 02:53:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
UPPER WAT ING, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 07213 23028

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE LONDON ROAD SE 0623-0723 (east side, off), Norland 13/111 15.11.66 Upper Wat Ing - II House. Dated 1638 and 1668 with earlier origins; C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. RCHM report suggests a timber-framed hall and cross- wing of c.1500 has had lower end rebuilt 1638 and stone encasement and west wing added 1668. Through passage. North (entrance) front: 2 storeys, 3 bays, all formerly gabl- ed, left bay rebuilt after fire, single-pitched and projecting. It has single-storey pent-roofed projection to front and gutter spout in angle with central bay. Central bay: ground floor masked by C20 single-storey addition; on lst floor a 3-over 5-light double-chamfered mullion window under dripmould with blind arched light to left. Right bay: a 1-light and 2-light window with 2-light window above, all with chamfered mullions. Gables have shaped kneelers, coping and finials. Large stack to ridge of left bay; another between central and right bays. Rear: 3 gabled bays. Right bay projects slightly and has plinth; formerly a door to left; a 3-light double-chamfered mullion window with king mullion and hoodmould to ground floor and, above it, a similar window without king mullion and with roundel stops and date '16' '38' to hoodmould. Central bay: door to left and above it a reset bi-cusped lintel dated '1668 (George Towne); on each floor a 2-light flat-faced mullion window, 1st-floor GT 1842' window having decoratively-stopped hoodmould. Left bay: a 2-light window on each floor, lst -floor window having hoodmould with terminals dated '18' '64'. Shaped kneelers, coping, finials. Interior: barrel-vaulted cellars with stone tables. Central room (housebody) has chamfered fireplace with deep lintel inscribed '16 LAU DEO 38', cornice and timber relieving arch; chamfered spine-beams; to either side of fireplace a chamfered quoined basket-arched doorway and a similar doorway to outshut. Left room has large quoined basket-arched fireplace and doorway to housbody. lst floor: a stop-chamfered ogee-arched fireplace to central room and another, Tudor- arched, with Cl9 grate. Former timber frame indicated by timbers between central and right rooms: a post rises from below, braced to tiebeam, the brace morticed for a post to the rail and the tiebeam with mortices for a studded wall. The house was owned by members of the Waterhousefamily in the C16 and until 1616; George Towne bought it in 1625 (Kendall pp.98-99). H P Kendall, "Ancient Halls of Norland", Halifax Antiquarian Society, vol 2 (1904), pp.93-1ll. RCHM(E) Report (31471).

Listing NGR: SE0721323028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
339253
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01262/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Mawer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].