CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1201533
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1971
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1201533.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Dec-2019 at 12:31:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, ST GEORGE'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Truro
National Grid Reference:
SW 82071 44956

Details

TRURO

SW8244NW ST GEORGE'S ROAD 880-1/6/279 (South side) 08/01/71 Church of St George

GV II

Anglican church, for Peel Parish of St George. Consecrated 1855 by Bishop Philpots, designed by the Reverend William Haslam. Local rubble with granite dressings, dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gables to transepts and polygonal roof to chancel; crested ridge tiles. Cruciform plan with apsidal-ended chancel, north porch and square west tower. Early English style. Unaltered elevations with lancets and pairs of lancets, except 3 stepped lancets to north and south walls of transept; pointed-arched doorway to porch, shouldered-headed doorway to stair turret, pointed-arched doorway to south wall of tower; angle buttresses. 3-stage west tower has angle buttresses to lower stages, octagonal stair turret to north-east corner, string courses and crocketed corner pinnacles over a plain parapet; paired lancets with louvres to bell-storey. INTERIOR: lofty and well-lit and has a fine quality scissor-braced and wind-braced roof structure with the principal trusses springing from posts on stone corbels. High moulded chancel arch springs from shafted abutments with carved imposts. Fittings: probably original painted freestone pulpit; pitch-pine benches. Memorial windows with coloured glass include: one at east end of south wall to Julia A H Retallack, d.1873 aged 56, to P E Trench 1855; to north wall west of choir to T J Lobb 1897. This church replaces an 1849 wooden church (City Road) designed by a "Mr White", possibly William White the noted ecclesiological architect who was a friend and an architectural influence on the Reverend William Haslam. (Barratt Rex: A Short History of the Parish and Church of St George-the-Martyr; The Truro Buildings Research Group: River Street and its Neighbourhood: Truro: 1980-).

Listing NGR: SW8207144956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377589
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
River Street and its Neighbourhood, (1980)
Barratt, R, A Short History of the Parish and Church of St George the Martyr

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11822/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Butterfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].