This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST VINCENT'S WORKS FACTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST VINCENT'S WORKS FACTORY

List entry Number: 1202565

Location

ST VINCENT'S WORKS FACTORY, SILVERTHORNE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 380526

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST6072 SILVERTHORNE LANE, St Philip 901-1/43/1925 (South side) 04/03/77 St Vincent's Works Factory

GV II

Pair of attached factory sheds. 1891. Possibly by TR Lysaght. For J Lysaght. Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and corrugated asbestos roof. Open plan rectangular sheds. Romanesque Revival style. Each has 3 storey end gables; 6-window range. Parallel sheds, the NW gable obscured by St Vincent's office (qv): gables have broad pilasters to the sides and centre, blind ground floor, and windows in recessed panels with corbel-tables at the top; weathered sill bands below semicircular-arched windows with glazing bars and linked hoodmoulds, in groups of 3 either side of the central pilaster, and falling in height in the second-storey parallel to the roof. Part of a large Pennant arched entrance to the left of centre. Silverthorne Road elevation has broad pilasters separating groups of 3 arched windows as the front. INTERIOR: Bath stone pillars. HISTORICAL NOTE: TR Lysaght was briefly a partner of WB Gingell, and the sheds share some of Gingell's arcuated industrial style. Originally a galvanising works with a timber-framed roof and massive Bath stone piers with hollow lead-lined cores to protect against the sulphuric acid in the atmosphere. (Jones E: Industrial Architecture in Britain: London: 1985-: 129; Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 379).

Listing NGR: ST6030372540

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 379
Jones, E, Industrial Architecture in Britain 1750-1939, (1985), 129

National Grid Reference: ST 60303 72540

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 04:45:38.

End of official listing