Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1202616

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994



Ordnance survey map of NOVA HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 04:11:36.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58724 72827


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



ST5872NE TELEPHONE AVENUE, Centre 901-1/16/681 (North West side) 04/03/77 Nova House (Formerly Listed as: TELEPHONE AVENUE, Centre Avon House)


Offices. 1903. By Henry Williams. Brick with limestone dressings, and slate mansard roof. Double-depth plan round a central light well. Edwardian Baroque style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 9-window range, with 3-storey and attic rear block. The long entrance front has a raised, rusticated basement, the upper floors articulated by banded pilasters strips to a modillion cornice, parapet with square section attached balusters between panelled dies, with large ashlar dormers. The entrance front has 2:1:1:1:3:1 windows with pilasters between, and 1 window in the splayed left-hand corner; central doorway has fluted half-pilasters with faceted blocks, key and modillion pediment, plate-glass overlight and double 8-panel doors. Windows have keyed, eared Gibbs surrounds, ground-floor with a sill band stepped down between them and dentil pediments, and first-floor cornices; 4 large dormers, 2:1:2:1, as the lower windows with side consoles to the paired ones, and later dormers set between behind the parapet. The left-hand return has 3:3 windows, paired dormers over each, and the left-hand section has a 3rd storey with panels to the lintels and an inserted central doorway. Ground-floor plate-glass windows, and plate-glass sashes above. Basement windows have incised voussoirs. INTERIOR: wide entrance stair hall containing a lateral stair flight with 2 quarter-landings, cantilevered stone treads and wrought-iron railings with leaves, and semicircular-arched windows up the stairs with stained-glass lit fron the well; doorcases have surrounds with fluted half pilasters and fluted cornices, to 2-panel doors; the hall has a wide bow-ended half-glazed screen with curved panes; first-floor left-hand room half panelled with a strapwork ceiling and very good Jacobean style 1700 stone fire surround, with paired Ionic columns, paired Corinthian columns to the overmantel, strapwork and cornices with a central panel painted 1 E 7/ 0 AM 0; a similarly-styled 1550 stone fire surround in the ground-floor hall has an overmantel with 3 Ionic herms, painted shields and strapwork. HISTORICAL NOTE: The fire surrounds came from No.7 Small Street which belonged to the Elton family. Formerly the offices of the National Telephone Co. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 80, 389; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 414).

Listing NGR: ST5872472827


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 380659

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 80
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 414

End of official listing