LLOYDS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203380
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
LLOYDS BANK, YORKSHIRE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LLOYDS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203380 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:54:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
LLOYDS BANK, YORKSHIRE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 89599 13432

Details

SD 8913 SE ROCHDALE YORKSHIRE STREET (north-west side)

11/134 25.10.1951 Lloyds Bank (formerly listed as G.V. II No 17)

Union Flag Hotel, now bank. 1708. Brick with stone ground floor and dressings, slate and copper roofs. Corner entrance to roughly square shaped plan. 3 storeys with 3 bays to Yorkshire Street. 2 to former Lord Street, and curved corner bay with large tripartite windows. Rusticated ground floor with accentuated voussoirs and keystones to flat window and door arches, all completely re-built in 1930. The second and third storey windows have stone architraves and keystones with moulded panels below on the first floor and blind balustrading on the second floor. Each has an order of Ionic fluted pilasters in the Palladian manner, supporting a stone cornice. The timber modillion eaves cornice is surmounted by a pitched roof with swept hips and a considerable balcony to Yorkshire Street. The balcony fronts a dentilled gable and has iron railings terminated by giant acorn-like vases on pedestals. The interior has triangular patterned architraves and a plastered ceiling but is largely of C20 date. The tiers of Ionic pilasters are of a surprisingly early date for Lancashire.

Listing NGR: SD8959913432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358965
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00549/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].