BOGBURN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204087
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
BOGBURN HALL, BOGBURN LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOGBURN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204087.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 11:18:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOGBURN HALL, BOGBURN LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Coppull
National Grid Reference:
SD 56055 12420

Details

SD 51 SE COPPULL BOGBURN LANE



8/85 Bogburn Hall 17.4.1967 (Formerly listed as Bogburn Hall GV II Farmhouse)

Farmhouse, dated 1663. Brick on stone plinth, with stone quoins, scored render to facade and left return wall, stone slate roof (felted at rear) with a chimney on the ridge. Two bay baffle-entry plan with outshut to 1st bay and gabled 2½ storey extension to rear of 2nd bay. Two storeys; central 2-storey gabled porch which has a chamfered and slightly arched opening with stone jambs and lintel, and stone side benches, and an inner studded plank door in wooden case with cyma-stopped chamfer; above the entrance is a recessed square datestone lettered H R.A 1663, and at 1st floor a 2-light sliding sash window; otherwise, all 4 front windows are altered (early C20 bays at ground floor). Right return wall has at attic level a square datestone in chamfered stone frame, lettered in relief H Various windows in rear wall include segmental-headed :I:·: 1663 stairlight to 1st bay, a 2-light sliding sash to ground floor, and a fixed attic window with glazing bars. Interior: many original features include diamond-pattern stone flagged floor, ¼-round moulded beams, inglenook fireplace with stone heck and very large bressummer, staircase with some splat balusters, some internal timber framing, batten and board doors with stop-chamfered cases, smoke hood in attic c. 4 metres square, and 4 roof trusses with raking struts and collars; both sets of principals survive, that for the original steeper roof (with housings for purlins) and that which replaces it. History: home of Haydock family, used for Quaker meetings in late Cl7. (H.C. Porteus History of Standish; plaque in chancel of Church of St. John the Divine, q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5605512420

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357602
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Porteus, H C, History of Standish

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01164/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Finch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].