LION GATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204373

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1994

Statutory Address: LION GATE, AUDLEY END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LION GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:29:45.

Location

Statutory Address: LION GATE, AUDLEY END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Saffron Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 52332 38023

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SAFFRON WALDEN

TL53NW AUDLEY END ROAD, Audley End 669-1/3/334 Lion Gate 01/11/72 (Formerly Listed as: AUDLEY END Lion Gate)

GV II*

Principal gateway to Audley End House (qv). Re-built 1786. Oolitic stone, now colourwashed. Central large carriageway and smaller side footways, all with semicircular arched heads set between inner and outer piers with recessed panelled pilasters, footways have walling with recessed panels above. Attic storey over central arch has inscription panel with date of 1786 and surmounting Coade stone gorged lion on a chapeau inscribed `Coade, London'. Also, draped oval Coade stone urns surmount the flanking piers. Lower terminal piers also have smaller similar urns, to W of Coade stone, to E in imitation. The date, 1616 is set in the spandrels of the centre gate arch. Wrought-iron, leaf decorated 2-leaved gates to each archway with subsidiary iron gate piers to central archway. All paired gates have a dropped swept centre and spear head railings. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Ratcliffe E: Essex: London: 1965-: 65).

Listing NGR: TL5233238023

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 370376

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1965), 65
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

End of official listing