TROLLY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204476

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: TROLLY HALL, 16, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TROLLY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 00:30:19.

Location

Statutory Address: TROLLY HALL, 16, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Buckingham

National Grid Reference: SP 69532 33888

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 CASTLE STREET 879-1/6/31 (South side) 13/10/52 No.16 Trolly Hall (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET (South side) No.16 Trolly Hill)

GV II*

Large town house, now partly offices. Early C18, with C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond with flared headers, stone dressings, all painted, hipped plain-tile roof and brick end stacks. Double-depth plan. 3-storey, 5-window range. Central, 6-panel door, approached by 3 stone steps with rounded ends. Door has overlight divided into 4 lights with shallow ogee-arched heads, moulded stone surround and cornice supported by console brackets either end. 12-pane sash windows to ground, first and 2nd floors, round arch-headed window to 1st floor centre and circular window to 2nd floor above, all with moulded stone surrounds. Rendered plinth with wave-moulded coping, rusticated quoins and sill bands, that to 1st hollow-chamfered to underside, that to 2nd with wave moulding to underside and extra upper moulding. Deep bracketed stone cornice, and plain stone-coped parapet with rusticated quoins. Central projection to rear housing staircase, and 2-storey extension to rear left. INTERIOR: dogleg stair from ground floor to attic with turned balusters on bulbous feet, moulded handrail, square newels and close strings. Stone cellar. Some rooms with raised and fielded panelling. Replaces a house of 1670 destroyed in fire of 1725. (Richardson A E: The Smaller English House: 207; FIG 193).

Listing NGR: SP6953833888

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377132

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Richardson, A E, Eberlein, H , The Smaller English House of Later Renaissance 1660-1830, (1925), 207

End of official listing