GUILD CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1204554
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
GUILD CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUILD CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204554 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:29:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUILD CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratford-upon-Avon
National Grid Reference:
SP 20075 54738

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHURCH STREET 604-1/10/49 (East side) 25/10/51 Guild Chapel of The Holy Cross

GV I

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET. Guild chapel. C13 chancel with alterations of c1450; nave and tower c1490ff; restored 1804, roofs rebuilt; restored and refurnished 1950s by S Dykes-Bower. For Guild of the Holy Cross; late C15 work paid for by Sir Hugh Clopton. Sandstone squared dressed stone and ashlar; parapeted roofs. PLAN: 2-bay chancel and 4-bay nave with west tower and north porch. Perpendicular style. EXTERIOR: chancel has plain plinth, diagonal buttresses and top cornice and coped parapet. East window of 5 cusped lights under 4-centred head; similar 2-light north and south windows; pointed south entrance with door with pierced scutcheon plate. Nave has deep plinth, offset buttresses and diagonal buttresses, top cornice and crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles; 4-light transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery. Gabled porch has diagonal buttresses, cornice with gargoyles, and crenellated parapet to gable and returns. Entrance has 4-centred head and continuous moulding, ogival hood with tracery panel, crockets, and fleuron forming plinth to niche with nodding ogee head, flanking square panels with label moulds and angels with shields, battened door with leaf-pattern handle and scutcheon plates; return blind 4-light square-headed windows with labels; inner entrance with 4-centred head and enriched spandrels, C20 paired doors. Similar south door. Tower has diagonal buttresses, string courses and cornice and crenellated parapet with pinnacles; west door with 4-centred head, spandrels and label mould, C15 battened door with tracery; tall 3-light transomed west window with Perpendicular tracery and hood; 2-light louvred bell openings; clock face to north side with shield in panel above (Clopton arms); cusped light to south side. Some C18 rainwater heads. INTERIOR: C19 plaster ceilings with cornices; flagged floors. Chancel arch has rich mouldings, top to chancel cut by ceiling; nave has panels between windows with cusped and crocketed heads; tall tower arch; north and south doors to west end have hoods with crockets and finials and stops; south door has one remaining angel stop and old door, north door has square stops. FITTINGS: chancel has fielded-panelled wainscotting and similar stalls, low reredos with panelled pilasters and festoons of oak and olive with drapery; C18 altar rail has panelled posts and spiral balusters. Nave has late C20 fielded-panelled panelling and stalls with candlestick style light fittings; paired 3-fielded-panel doors and organ loft to tower arch; coved ceiling. MEMORIALS: chancel south wall tablet to Sir Hugh Clopton, d.1496, erected 1708, tall nowy-headed panel with armorial bearing over long inscription recording benefactions, concave lower angles. STAINED GLASS: chancel windows have C20 windows with figures of notable people in the history of Stratford; lion passant maker's mark. WALL PAINTINGS: important late C15 wall paintings, notably a Doom over the chancel arch; of a series of saints to the panels between windows, 3 remain but damaged; some painting exposed to west wall, but this and paintings to north and south walls are covered by panelling and include a Dance of Death. Used by King Edward VI Grammar School since 1553, when the Guild was dissolved. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 414; VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 60-2; Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society (reprint): Puddephat W: The Mural Paintings of the Dance of Death in the Guild Chapel: Oxford: 1960-; Puddephat W: The Guild Chapel & Other Guild Buildings of Stratford-upon-Avon: Stratford-upon-Avon: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SP2007654738

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366198
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 414
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 60-2
Puddephat, W, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in The Mural Paintings of the Dance of Death in the Guild Chapel, (1960)
Puddephat, W, 'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in The Guild Chapel and Other Guild Buildings of Stratford upon Avon, (1987)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14283/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].