CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1204941
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:19:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Ingoldmells
National Grid Reference:
TF 55947 68832

Details

TF 56 NE INGOLDMELLS HIGH STREET (north side)

7/34 Church of St. Peter and 3.2.67 St. Paul

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1200, C13, C14, C15 chancel demolished 1706, restored 1858, 1898. Ashlar and squared coursed limestone rubble. Red brick. Slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, aisles, south porch, vestry. 3 stage C14 tower with stepped angle buttresses, plain offsets and embattled parapet. In the belfry stage are single broad 3 light windows, cusped heads and concave chamfered surrounds, with below single 2 light Y traceried windows. The west window is pointed with chamfered surround, hood and human head stops. The north aisle has lead roof and C15 panel traceried window to east and west and to the north are 4 two light C14 flowing traceried windows. Brick gabled Cl9 vestry with pointed door and lights. The slate nave roof has C13 clerestorey of 2 paired and single triplet of cusped lights. The east wall of the nave has a blank semi- circular arch in the blocking with "WA 1757" on the keystone. In the east wall of the south aisle is a 3 light C13 intersecting traceried window. The south side has 4 C14 windows matching those to the north and the west window matches the north aisle west window. The gabled C14 south porch has a double shafted outer doorway with quatrefoils to the base and annular capitals, the double moulded arch has an outer door of fleurons and hood mould with lion stops. Side benches, quatrefoil side lights. The inner doorway is continuously moulded with hood having human head stops. C18 panelled door. To the right of the door is an ogee head niche. Interior. 6 bay c.1200 nave arcades with round shafts, spurred bases, stiff leaf capitals, double chamfered arches. C14 tower arch with engaged triple shafts with foliate capitals and triple chamfered arch. In the south aisle a cusped ogee headed piscina and in the north aisle a similar niche. Fittings. A full set of C15 benches with poppyhead ends and panel traceried rear panels. The elaborate octagonal C15 font has panelled stem and bowl containing fleurons in cusped panels with beast head embellishments, Cl9 conical wooden cover with freestyle carving and brattished rim. Monuments. At the east end of the nave are 2 C15 ledger slabs, and in the north chapel a small brass to William Palmer d.1520, depicting a cripple with his crutch.

Listing NGR: TF5595068834

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196035
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05890/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].