SANDSTONE WALL ALL ROUND CHURCHYARD, WITH ONE ENTRANCE ON COUNTY ROAD, ONE AT THE JUNCTION OF COUNTY ROAD AND CHURCH LANE, AND ONE ON WALTON VILLAGE.

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206254
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, COUNTY ROAD, WALTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of SANDSTONE WALL ALL ROUND CHURCHYARD, WITH ONE ENTRANCE ON COUNTY ROAD, ONE AT THE JUNCTION OF COUNTY ROAD AND CHURCH LANE, AND ONE ON WALTON VILLAGE.
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 01:03:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, COUNTY ROAD, WALTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 35828 94823

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/12/2012 and 01/09/2015

SJ 3594 L4 14/319 14.3.75

COUNTY ROAD, Sandstone wall all round churchyard, with one entrance on County Road, one at junction of County Road and Church Lane, and one on Walton Village

(Formerly listed as Sandstone wall all round churchyard, with two entrances on County Road and one on Walton Village)

G.V. II

Wall to churchyard of St. Mary's Church. C19, stone. Extends for 301.5 metres. The section of wall facing County Road is later than the other section, having been taken down and rebuilt on a different alignment sometime during the first quarter of C20. The section of wall to County Road is ashlar, with weathered coping while that to Walton Village is of rubble construction. The 3 entrances have stone piers with 2 tiers of arched panels with weathering between and are gabled on all 4 sides. Iron overthrows with traceried spandrels support Lanterns; that to Walton Village is intact. The wall to Walton Village is interrupted by the Mortuary and Hearse house (q.v.). The wall to County Road incorporates a red granite 'Melly' drinking fountain with an altered backplate (set into wall) and a replacement ashlar pediment inscribed with '1861'. The bronze ornamental head water spout and tap are missing. The drinking fountain was moved 36m north-east from its original position at the turn of C20.

HISTORY: The churchyard wall is C19 in date and displays two phases of construction. The Melly fountain facing County Road was erected in 1861 by the Victorian philanthropist Charles Pierre Melly (1829-1888). Melly erected the first free public drinking fountains in England in Liverpool in 1854. The idea was subsequently copied in towns and cities throughout the country, and in Scotland and Ireland. London's first fountain was not erected until five years later in 1859. He was also a promoter of physical fitness and the early Olympic movement in Britain.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The churchyard wall surrounding St Mary's Church is of special historic interest as an important component of the ensemble formed by the grade II listed church (formerly the Parish Church of Liverpool), hearse house and mortuary. The Melly drinking fountain is one of the earliest in England and was erected by the Victorian philanthropist Charles Pierre Melly (1829-1888).



Listing NGR: SJ3582794817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213948
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Physick, R, Played in Liverpool: Charting the heritage of a city at play, (2007)
Websites
, accessed from http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/55914

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16643/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].