CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206359
Date first listed:
17-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 09:53:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Maer
National Grid Reference:
SJ 79268 38329

Details

SJ 73 NE MAER C.P. MAER

9/92 Church of St Peter

17/11/66 GV II*

Parish church. Partly late C12/early C13 fabric, with C14 additions, almost entirely re-built in C17 and thoroughly restored by Lewis and Son of Newcastle-under-Lyme c.1870. Coursed sandstone to earlier parts, ashlar to C19 work; late C19 plain tiled roofs with fishscale bands and ornamental cresting. Nave and chancel in one, west tower, continuous north aisle, south porch, organ chamber and vestry. Tower: probably mid-to-late C17 (see date 1670 on south belfry window) in Gothic Survival style. 2 stages on double-chamfered plinth; paired trefoil-headed openings under triangular and heart-shaped lights to belfry on north, south and west; west window in same style; below the belfry on south a blocked, chamfered rectangular opening; plain embattled parapet and corner pinnacles; wide stepped buttress at north-east angle. Nave: in 2 bays with chancel of one bay; fenestration all late C19; cusped 3-light windows under square heads to east of porch and a 4-light mullioned and transomed window, also with cusped lights to west; East window of 3 cusped lights with elongated quatrefoils above. Gabled south porch: C17 with rather roughly-shaped round-headed outer arch and lancet opening above; the south door itself is transitional (c.1200), one order of shafts with an arch of one step and one slight chamfer, but most of the stonework has been replaced (probably c.1870). North aisle, organ chamber and vestry all under continuous catslide roof apparently late C19 (plain mullioned windows on north side), but the C17 window of 2 round arches under a square head in the west wall (which seems to be in situ) shows that the aisle must actually be a re-building (see also datestone 1614/1878 above window). Interior: tall, narrow pointed tower arch; north nave arcade of 2 pointed bays with a central octagonal pier probably C14; continuous arch-braced roof to nave and chancel in 5½ bays (late C19); all the fittings and furnishings are also of late C19 or later date except the late C12 font, a round basin with circular moulded pedestal on chamfered octagonal plinth; C20 stained glass in north aisle by Shrigley and Hunt. Monument: in arched recess on north side of chancel; Sir John Bowyer (died 1604) and his wife, Catherine, chest tomb with 2 recumbent effigies and armorial shields to sides, moulded inscription band. B.O.E., Pp.200-1.

Listing NGR: SJ7926838329

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362702
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03969/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].