CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207045
Date first listed:
13-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND ALL SAINTS, SAXON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:51:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET AND ALL SAINTS, SAXON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 53860 90496

Details

LOWESTOFT

TM59SW SAXON ROAD 914-1/3/76 (North side) 13/12/49 Church of St Margaret and All Saints

II*

Parish church. Unusual history. South-west tower of C13 origins, re-built C15 with the remainder of the building. Until 1748 the building was 2 churches, St Margaret's occupying the north nave, All Saints the south. From 1411-22 both were unified under one rector, Robert Graunt, who demolished the dividing wall and constructed the arcade and made the principal medieval alterations. After 1422 the churches were re-divided until 1748. Restored 1929-38, burnt by incendiary bombs 1941, re-built 1946-50. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs. 2 naves and continuous chancels, south-west tower and south porch. Stepped buttresses to the north and south flanks, the NORTH NAVE has diagonal corner buttresses. Arched north nave door. Four 3-light Perpendicular windows under square heads, very restored. Early C14 three-light reticulated west window with quatrefoils in the reticulation units, also much restored. Early C14 three-light reticulated east window with quatrefoils and trefoils, the lights filled with flint 1949. C20 vestry abuts the west gable. The SOUTH NAVE has a 2-stage unbuttressed west tower. Two lancets to the west side. String course to the set-off under the C15 belfry stage: 2-light reticulated belfry windows north and south; arched louvred windows east and west. Crenellated parapet. Gabled S porch with diagonal buttresses. Eroded roll and wave-moulded jambs. Wall sundial in gable-head. One trefoil light in east and west sides. Four 2- and 3-light Perpendicular south windows under straight heads, all C20 restorations or replacements. Low priests' door to chancel. 3-light reticulated chancel east window of C20 character. INTERIOR. 7-bay arcade divided into 5 to naves, 2 to chancel. Octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Scissor-braced roofs of 1946-50. Rood screen extends entire width. 1411-22, canopy demolished 1767, all but 17 cusped dado panels destroyed 1941, re-built without canopy 1946-50. Octagonal late C14 font on a plinth. The stem has lions crouching against it, the bowl the symbols of the Evangelists and 2 white harts of Richard II. Set into the north wall is a brass to John Bowf and wife, 1417, with inscription. Figures in civil costume, predella with 2 sons and 9 daughters. In the south chancel a brass to Richard Folcard, 1451, half-figure, inscription, academical dress. On the west wall a Royal Arms of Charles II, painted. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Suffolk: Harmondsworth: 1961-1975: P.388).

Listing NGR: TM5386090496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391358
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 388

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00492/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].