NORTH ROAD PENTECOSTAL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207313
Date first listed:
22-Jun-1989
Statutory Address:
NORTH ROAD PENTECOSTAL CHURCH, NORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH ROAD PENTECOSTAL CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207313 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 18:52:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
NORTH ROAD PENTECOSTAL CHURCH, NORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54056 29871

Details

PRESTON

SD5429NW NORTH ROAD 941-1/10/219 (West side) 22/06/89 North Road Pentecostal Church

GV II

Formerly known as: Wesley Chapel NORTH ROAD. Wesleyan Methodist chapel with schoolroom under, now Pentecostal Church with meeting rooms. 1838, altered, with additions, in 1885-6. Red brick in Flemish bond (sides and rear of brown brick in English garden wall bond), with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Rectangular plan on east-west axis, with porch added to east front and short addition to rear. Two storeys over basement, 5 bays, symmetrical, with a 3-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, panelled corner pilasters with corniced caps, 1st floor sillband, plain frieze and moulded cornice. At ground floor the facade is covered by the 1885 porch, which is rectangular in plan and wider than the main building, one storey and 5 bays, symmetrical, with a stone plinth, a central doorway with Tuscan columns tetrastyle in antis, doorways in the outer bays framed by pilasters with stylised acanthus enrichment to the capitals, a continuous frieze and cornice with an upstand over the centre and balustrades of open roundels over the outer bays; all the doorways are approached by steps, are round-headed, with fanlights, and have moulded architraves with carved foliated spandrels (that in the centre with a keystone); the intermediate bays have narrow round-headed windows with similar architraves; the returned ends have matching but larger windows. The 1st floor has 5 round-headed windows with sill- and impost-bands, moulded surrounds to the heads (that in the centre stilted), and leaded honeycomb glazing (of 1885); and above those in the centre a string course, a band of carved square panels, and a pediment (coping damaged) containing a rectangular stone plaque lettered "A.D. 1838" (former lettering above erased). The 5-bay north and south side walls each have bands at ground- and 1st floors, rectangular basement windows (glazing altered and doorway now in 4th bay of north side), and round-headed windows on both upper floors with glazing like those at the front. Rear has corner pilasters, and pedimented gable with chimney, but is mostly covered by addition. INTERIOR: horseshoe gallery with panelled front, carried on slender cast-iron columns with Ionic capitals; at west end, a semi-elliptical-headed giant arch which has fluted pilasters with decorated moulded caps, and former orchestra gallery now with organ; pitch-pine pews and ornamental rostrum all of 1885.

Listing NGR: SD5405629871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392107
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14360/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Heywood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].