ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207963
Date first listed:
03-Apr-1951
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY, NEWTOWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207963 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:41:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY, NEWTOWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Thetford
National Grid Reference:
TL 86661 82844

Details

THETFORD

TL8682 NEWTOWN 617-1/7/115 (South East side) 03/04/51 Roman Catholic Church of St Mary

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. Built 1826 immediately following Catholic Emancipation Act 1826. Cut flint with gault brick dressings and slate roof. 4 bays, with a projecting gabled porch ending in double doors under an 8-vaned fanlight. Main wall pierced by 4 tall round-headed windows with glazing bars. Dentil eaves cornice and gabled roof. Rear similar. INTERIOR: gallery at north-east end stands on square posts. Wall panelling. South-west end (liturgical east) with pairs of projecting unfluted Corinthian columns and pilasters carrying entablatures and an arch. Deeply coved ceiling. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North-west and South Norfolk: Harmondsworth: 1962-: 342).

Listing NGR: TL8666182844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
384786
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North West and South Norfolk, (1962), 342

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11350/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Hull. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].