PARISH CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1208207
Date first listed:
15-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208207.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 12:50:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilfracombe
National Grid Reference:
SS 51406 47305

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 CHURCH ROAD 853-1/6/31 Parish Church of Holy Trinity 15/06/51

GV I

Anglican parish church. Transeptal tower and other masonry C13; enlarged c1321 by order of Bishop Stapledon (lengthening of the nave and addition of aisles); aisles widened C15; N chancel aisle added C15; restoration by John Hayward, 1861-4. Vestry, 1894 by Henry Wilson. MATERIALS: mostly random rubble slate walls, some rendered; limestone dressings; Welsh slate roof. PLAN: nave with aisles of 4 bays; chancel of 4; N and S chancel aisles; N transeptal tower (now partially internal due to widening of N aisle); SE vestries. EXTERIOR: windows entirely renewed by Hayward, mostly 4-light in conventional Perpendicular style. One or two dressed features survive from before this time including a small blocked window set low at W end of S aisle. Sundial dated 1788 over porch doorway. Plaque dated 1864 commemorates rebuilding of S wall. Storeyed vestries set transeptally with polygonal stair turret; 2-light window to each floor, that to 1st under moulded pointed arch. The strangely detailed doorway arch, the rainwater hopper and the weather vane on the small spire that surmounts the turret are free Arts and Crafts in style (cf the lych gate to S also by Wilson). INTERIOR: fully described in Pevsner and Cherry. Special attention may be drawn to the fine set of wagon roofs, substantially renewed and adapted over the chancel by Fellowes Prynne in 1899. Nave roof rests on stone corbels representing mythical beasts that may be older than the timber roof. The Victorian glass (all attributed in Pevsner and Cherry) form an extremely interesting and varied collection. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Cherry B: Devon: 2nd ed.: London: 1989-: 501).

Listing NGR: SS5140747304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390171
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 501

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/02873/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].