CUMBRIA COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN HOMEACRES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208815
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
CUMBRIA COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN HOMEACRES, BRAMPTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CUMBRIA COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN HOMEACRES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 17:10:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CUMBRIA COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN HOMEACRES, BRAMPTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 40348 57153

Details

CARLISLE

NY4057SW BRAMPTON ROAD 671-1/4/58 (North side) Cumbria College of Art and Design - Homeacres

GV II

House now part of college. Late 1840s or early 1850s. Incised cement render on squared plinth with raised quoins (dressings of calciferous sandstone), sill band and dentilled wooden cornice. Graduated greenslate roof, partly hipped; cement rendered ridge and rear chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 4 bays with 3-bay left return, double-depth plan with cross-wing to right. Storeyed wing is gabled with a canted bay window. Left bays have a right panelled door with overlight and side lights in stone surround. Sash windows with original margin glazing bars in plain reveals. Between floors is a stone balcony on large stone brackets with wrought-iron balusters and handrail. Right and rear C20 extensions. INTERIOR has panelled doors in panelled reveals and some panelled shutters. Moulded plaster ceiling cornices and some central roundels in principal rooms. Cantilever stone staircase has scrolled cast-iron balusters and moulded mahogony handrail; glazed stair cupola has ribbed plaster vault on console bracketed cornice. HISTORY: When built this was called The Villa and is marked as such on the 1865 OS map; later it was known as Stanwix Villa. JD Carr lived here between 1845 and 1854, and it may have been built for him. It appears the name was changed by James Morton when he came to live here in 1900, see Jocelyn Morton (1971). It was compulsorily purchased by the City Council in 1949, see Carlisle Journal, (1949) and it became the College of Art in 1951. (Morton, Jocelyn: Three Generations in a Family Textile Firm: 1971-: P.134 & P.201; Carlisle Journal: 18 November 1949: P.5).

Listing NGR: NY4033757219

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
386635
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morton, J, Three Generations in a Family Textile Firm, (1971), 134, 201
'Carlisle Journal' in 18 November, (1949), 5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/07818/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerry M. Manley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].