WESTMINSTER FIRE STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1214121
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1987
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Oct-2009
Statutory Address:
WESTMINSTER FIRE STATION, 4, GREYCOAT PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1214121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 08:09:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
WESTMINSTER FIRE STATION, 4, GREYCOAT PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29613 79158

Details



1900/100/21 GREYCOAT PLACE 01-DEC-87 4 Westminster Fire Station (Formerly listed as: GREYCOAT PLACE SW1 4 FIRE STATION)

II Fire station and flats. 1906. Built by the Fire Brigade Branch of the London County Council Architects Department. Extension to NE with drill tower added late C20.

MATERIALS: Red brick with fine rubbed, moulded and gauged brick detail; Portland stone ground floor and dressings. Rear elevation in yellow stock brick.

PLAN: Footprint is almost a parallelogram with acute return to W. Ground and first-floor fire station with flats above. 4 storeys plus basement and attic. Pedestrian entrance and stair located at front between the two easternmost appliance bays.

EXTERIOR: Free English Baroque style. Asymmetrical façade comprising (from W-E) 4 and 3 equal bays flanking a broader, off-centre stone-banded bay which is slightly set forward and aligns with the centre bay of the symmetrical 5-bay attic storey. Banded rustication to ground floor, continuing around W return. 3 appliance bays under voussoired and keyed lintels, with off-centre pedestrian entrance to upper floors. Above this, the bays are articulated by giant order of Ionic pilasters with dosserets, terminated by broad stone-banded angle pilasters (that to W return has small first-floor window). Windows are tripartite, coupled or single 8-over-8 timber sashes. First-floor windows set in recessed segmental arches, apart from that to W bay and keyed oculus 2 bays along. Broader off-centre bay has 6-over-6 pane stair windows at mezzanine-level and sub-cornice; keyed oculus to attic. Brick cornice over 3rd floor and stone coped parapet to the attic storey. Irregular roof plan with hipped central part and pitched roofs to W end. Tall stacks with dentilled cornices.

Return to W has 2-storey canted projection with broad voussoired arched window and 2 narrow sash windows above; above this the flank has one window and tall stack to left, surmounted by half gable in form of pediment with modillion cornice; chimneystack has drip mould in form of round pediment. Elevation is then canted round to meet the rear. Rear elevation has continuous railed balconies; windows are segmental-headed triple casements or paired 6-over-9 pane sashes.

The modern brick drill tower and extension to NE are not of special interest. INTERIOR: Appliance room ceiling carried on steel girders supported on stanchions. Glazed brick walls. Original watch room to rear has glazed brick walls and canted front with square timber panelling. Glazed brick facing to stair well and pole houses. Upper floors (partly inspected) are much altered and therefore of lesser interest.

HISTORY: Fire services in London emerged principally from the need for insurance providers to limit their losses through damage to property in the period after the Great Fire of 1666. Initially, each insurer maintained a separate brigade that only served subscribers until the foundation of an integrated service in 1833, funded by City businesses. In 1866, following an Act of Parliament of the previous year, the first publicly-funded authority charged with saving lives and protecting buildings from fire was founded: the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, initially part of the Metropolitan Board of Works. The earliest MFB fire stations were generally plain brick and few pre-1880 examples survive. In 1880s under the MFB architect Robert Pearsall, fire stations acquired a true architectural identity, most notably in the rich Gothic style typical of Victorian municipal buildings such as Bishopsgate. It was the building boom of the 1890s-1900s however that was to transform fire station architecture and give the Brigade some of its most characterful buildings. In 1889, the fire brigade passed to the newly-formed London County Council, and from 1896 new stations were designed by a group of architects led by Owen Fleming and Charles Canning Winmill, both formerly of the LCC Housing Department, who brought the highly-experimental methods which had evolved for designing new social housing to the Fire Brigade Division (as the department was called from 1899), and drew on a huge variety of influences to create unique and commanding stations, each built to a bespoke design and plan. This exciting period in fire station design continued to the outbreak of WWI, although there was some standardisation of design in the period.

Westminster Fire Station replaced an earlier MFB building of c1876 in Francis Street (demolished).

SOURCES: The New Westminster Fire Station, Fire and Water (July 1906) John B Nadal, London's Fire Stations (2006)

REASON FOR DESIGNATION: Westminster Fire Station is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It belongs to a remarkable series of fire stations built by the LCC between 1896-1914, each executed to a bespoke design, which are widely admired as being among the most accomplished examples of LCC civic architecture of this rich and prolific period; * Special architectural interest as a handsome and skilful interpretation of the c1700 English Baroque style. It exhibits the quality of materials and detailing which are the hallmarks of LCC design, and is externally virtually intact, with most of its original windows; * The original watch room, now a rare survival.



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
209944
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nadal, J, Londons Fire Stations, (2006)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/03603/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.W. Garthwaite. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].