CHURCH CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1215282
Date first listed:
20-May-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH CLOSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215282.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 20:01:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH CLOSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Coningsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 22217 58000

Details

TF 25 NW and CONINGSBY HIGH STREET TF 2258-2358 (south side)

6/4 and 11/4 Church Close 20.5.69

G.V. I

Incorrectly shown as Rectory on OS Map. Former rectory, now house. C14, C15, with C16 addition and C18 alterations, C19 alterations and additions. Partly timber framed, cased in C19 yellow Kirkby brick, C15 red brick and C19 yellow brick, some ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, some with raised brick coped gables. Single tall ridge, wall and triple valley brick stacks. C14 aisled hall of 2 bays, stack inserted in C16, C15 cross parlour wing, 2 storey plus garrets, irregular 7 bay front, the bay third from left projects and is gabled. Both ends are of C19 yellow brick, the centre bays are in red brick. Off-centre C20 door in C19 chamfered brick surround with segmental arch having to right a C16 single fixed light with 4 centred arched head. To the right again a C20 window in a single storey gabled projection. To left of door is a glazing bar sash with segmental brick head,a panelled door covered by a C20 gabled wooden porch with beyond a further glazing bar sash. To first floor are 3 glazing bar sashes, a blank opening and a 3 light cross mullioned wooden window, a single C16 light and a plain sash. In the garrets are 2 two light casements, one leaded and a small C19 fixed light. Inside the moulded base cruck truss of the hall survives with octagonal capitals and bases, carved human head decorations and a grotesque mask to the apex of the vault, all of the best quality. Above the hall is a crown post roof with cusped braces. This hall was built in circa 1345 by the then rector William Hillary. The timber framed cross wing was added in 1350-1463, and cased in brick by John Croxby, rector, in 1463. The original two bay crown-post roof survives and has a plain post linked by substantial tension braces to a cambered tie beam and concave braces from the post to the collar purlin. During the C16 the hall was chambered over and an axial chimney stack inserted backing onto the screens passage and in the C18, a stair was also contrived in the hall space. The later history of the house is well documented, beginning with William Skelton's probate inventory of 1602 as well as a run of terriers after 1606. In 1729 the living of the parish passed to the poet Laureate, Laurance Eusden, who after a drunken and scandalous career died here the following year. In 1751, the Welsh poet John Dyer became rector until his death in 1757; he was probably responsible for the full height mid C18 panelling in the parlour. Source: 'The Medieval Parsonage House, Coningsby, Lincolnshire' by M. W. Barley et al, Antiquaries Journal.

Listing NGR: TF2221758000

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400400
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13396/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].