CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1215809
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215809.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 11:45:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Mareham Le Fen
National Grid Reference:
TF 27833 61259

Details

TF 26 SE MAREHAM LE FEN CHURCH LANE (east side)

3/26 Church of 14.9.66 St. Helen

G.V. II*

Parish church. Late C13, early C14, late C14, C15, C16, 1879 partial rebuilding of exterior, 1974 vestry extension. Squared greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, aisles, south porch, north vestry, chancel. 3 stage tower with moulded plinth, string courses, set back buttresses, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. In the belfry stage are 2 light openings with panelled traceried tops and plain surrounds. 2 light west window with mouchettes. In the side walls of the tower to the middle stage are single rectangular lights. West north aisles window is of 3 lights. C19 tracery in C15 surround. In the north wall is a late C13 window now with C19 intersecting tracery. The north doorway is C16, with Tudor arched head and shields to the spandrels of the moulded square surround. The door is now covered by a vestry added in 1974 built from materials taken from the demolished Church of St. Margaret, Old Woodhall. Beyond is a further 3 light intersecting traceried window and a 4 light C15 window. C19 3 light east window with cusped tracery, and in the south wall a pair of similar 2 light windows. C15 south aisle, with crocketed pinnacles has 2 three light windows with cusped heads to the lights and segmental heads, with hood moulds and human head stops. C19 gabled south porch with double chamfered outer arch. The inner doorway is C14, continuously moulded with fleurons to the hollow middle order. Further west a 3 light intersecting traceried window, and the angle pinnacle at the west end has a carving of St. George and the Dragon in a cusped niche. Interior. Nave arcades are of 4 bays, C14, with double chamfered arches, octagonal piers, floriate capitals and responds. Tower arch blocked by organ loft. In the south aisle a blocked doorway with shouldered arch. C19 chancel arch with annular responds, Southwell style leaf capitals and triple chamfered arch. C19 aumbry in north wall, with pointed arched head, contemporary reveals with crocketed panels and marble shafts. Stained glass in south aisle of 1919. Fittings are all C19 apart from the octagonal C14 font with trefoils and human heads to the sides, moulded fleurons to rim. In the north aisle a sandstone tombstone with cambered head to James Roberts, d.1826, who sailed in the Endeavour with Captain Cook and Sir Joseph Banks.

Listing NGR: TF2783361259

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400435
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05736/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].