CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216164
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216164.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 09:38:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Cropredy
National Grid Reference:
SP 46899 46668

Details

SP 4646, 14/46

CROPREDY, CHURCH LANE (East side), Church of St. Mary the Virgin

08/12/55

GV

I

Church. C13 work in the south aisle and C13 south doorway. Mostly C14 including porch and west tower. C15 north aisle and chapels, 1877 restoration by E. W. Christian, Squared, coursed ironstone and ashlar ironstone. Roof covering not visible. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles north vestry. south porch. west tower, north and south chapels, 6-window range, Chancel has a 4-light reticulated east window. South elevation has a priest's door with moulded stone surround and a 2-light geometrical window, South aisle has 2- and 3-light Perpendicular or geometrical windows, Gabled south porch has stone parapet and pointed arched doorway. Plank and nail door. South aisle has stone parapet and late Decorated cornice carved with heads and ballflower. Five 2-light perpendicular clerestory windows on north and south. West tower. Crenellated with staircase turret slightly higher. 3 stages. Diagonal buttresses. String courses to first and second stages, Panelled, double-leaf door on west with pointed arched hood mould. Renewed 3-light Perpendicular window above and 2-light Perpendicular windows to bell stage, North aisle has Perpendicular windows, some renewed. Doorway on right has plank door and pointed arched hood mould and label stops. C14 vestry on north has a priest's room above with two small windows, one of which now opens onto the north aisle. Sundial on south aisle. Diagonal and angle buttresses on south aisle and chancel.

INTERIOR, Nave has a 5-bay tie-beam roof on corbels, ridge and side purlins, arched braces. Chancel has a similar roof, partly restored, Chancel has a Decorated and Early English piscina, Doorway into vestry has a plank and nail door with wrought-iron hinges. Priest's room (reached via ladder stair) has word panelling. Screen on north side of the chancel has C14 fragments with flowing tracery. Another screen around the chapel on the south has the initials of Ann Danvers and the date 1539. C17 communion rail. Nave has tall 4-bay Decorated arcades with piers without capitals. Perpendicular piscina in north aisle (without a drain) . South aisle has 2 arched tomb recesses. two fonts, one octagonal C14, the other 1853. Late C15 style polygonal pulpit said to be dated 1619 (Kell's Directory). Rare pre-Reformation C15 brass eagle lectern. Fragments of a painted Last Judgement over the chancel arch. C13 chest with fine decorative ironwork. Chancel has memorials to Francis Stainer (vicar) d.1735 and William and Abigail Taylor of Williamscot House d.1733. Wall plaque to Richard H. S. Crossman of Prescote M.P., 1906-1974. South aisle and chapel have memorials to the Danvers and Gostelow families of Prescote and the Caulcott, Taylor and Loveday families of Williamscot. Freestone monument in south aisle to Walter Calcott d.1582 and Alice Calcott. South wall of south aisle has remains of a stone figure of a Knight in armour. Brass in nave to Priscilla Plant d.1837. North aisle has classical style marble wall memorial to John Danvers of Prescot, MDCCXXI. Fragments of C15 glass in north aisle. East window by Lavers. Barrant and Westlake 1877 and memorial windows by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.

(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp. 559-60; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol X. pp. 171-2: Trans. Bust. and Gls. Arch. Soc. 52 (1930), pp. 45-8: 22 photographs in Ashmolean Museum Oxford; Tran. North Oxford. Arch. Soc., 1879 pp. 56 and drawings of mouldings)

Listing NGR: SP4689846667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
401484
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 559-60
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 171-2
'Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, , Vol. 52, (1930), 46-8
'Transactions of the North Oxfordshire Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the North Oxfordshire Archaeological Society, (1879), 56

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05864/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].