CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1216860
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1216860.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:27:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Bassetlaw (District Authority)
Parish:
Sturton Le Steeple
National Grid Reference:
SK 82454 82619

Details

SK 88 SW STURTON LE STEEPLE LITTLEBOROUGH MAIN STREET (north side)

6/112 Church of 1.2.67 St. Nicholas

G.V. I

Parish church. C11. Restored 1832, 1900, 1973. Vestry 1832, rebuilt 1900. Herring bone and coursed rubble incorporating Roman brick fragments, brick, dressed stone quoins, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Chamfered dressed stone plinth. Nave with bellcote, chancel, lean-to vestry., Nave, 2 bays, has plain eaves and east gable with cross. West end has central round- headed doorway, 1832, with square moulded imposts. Flanked by single buttresses, 3 setoffs, with chamfered plinths. Above, gabled bellcote with 2 round headed moulded openings, containing bells dated c.1200 and 1350. North side has to west, external brick stack and to east, single round headed window in splayed reveal. South side has 2 round headed C19 windows with moulded heads, hood moulds and splayed reveals. Chancel, single bay, has to east single C19 round headed window with moulded head and hood mould with dogtooth and mask stops, and splayed reveal. South side has a smaller similar window. Vestry, to north, has on north side a single mullioned and transomed 3 light leaded window. Aisleless nave has moulded round-headed west door with moulded square imposts and chamfered plinth. Principal rafter roof, 1900, with moulded wall plate and chamfered tie beams. Chancel arch, C11, has heavy roll moulding and chamfered square imposts. Single round piers with small incised scallop capitals. Chancel has east window with stained glass, 1900. South side has to east, C14 cusped trefoil headed piscina, and to west, blocked splayed window opening. Roof similar to nave. Fittings include font with chamfered square base and stem, carrying C17 splayed eggcup bowl. Panelled painted ogee domed cover with ball finial, c18. Early C19 lectern with turned base and 5 turned clustered stems. C19 pierced traceried reading desk. Moulded oak benches, c,1900. C20 turned altar rail. Monuments include Classicl style slate and marble tablet with truncated obelisk, 1765 and 1812, slate and marble tablets 1843, 1846, 1855. Roll of Honour. Brass 1933.

Listing NGR: SK8245282618

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
411543
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/13266/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Joseph Pinder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].