This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

St Peter's Arts Centre, University of Central Lancashire

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: St Peter's Arts Centre, University of Central Lancashire

List entry Number: 1219062


St Peter's Arts Centre, University of Central Lancashire, St Peter's Square

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 392158

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD5329 ST PETER'S SQUARE 941-1/6/266 (North side) 12/06/50 St Peter's Arts Centre, University of Central Lancashire


(Formerly Listed as Central Block of Lancashire Polytechnic Arts Centre) Formerly known as: Church of St Peter FYLDE ROAD. Church, now Arts Centre. 1822-5, by Rickman and Hutchinson, steeple 1851-2 by Mitchell (Pevsner); altered. Sandstone ashlar (roof concealed by parapet). Nave with north and south aisles, west porches at the ends of these, chancel with added north organ house and south vestry, and south-east steeple in angle between aisle and chancel. Decorated style. The 6-bay nave has square-headed 2-light clerestory windows with cusped lights and hoodmoulds with figured stops, an embattled parapet, and at the west end a small 2-light window with cusped mouchette tracery, tall embattled corner turrets, and a large crocketed bellcote on the apex. The buttressed aisles (6 bays on the north side and 5 on the south) have 2-centred arched 3-light windows with cusped circular and mouchette tracery in alternating designs, and hoodmoulds with figured stops. Attached at the east end are 2 tall rectangular porches with a lower link between, all with 2-light windows and embattled parapets, the south porch with an arched south doorway and the north porch now linked to a C20 glazed extension. The chancel has (inter alia) a large 2-centred arched 5-light window with mouchette tracery, and embattled corner turrets. All the windows have small geometrical-patterned cast-iron glazing. The 3-stage tower, with angle buttresses and south-west stair-turret, has a 3-light window to the 1st stage with reticulated tracery, bands of blind arcading to the 2nd stage, a 3-light louvred belfry window in each side with cusped tracery and crocketed ogival hoodmould, an embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and arched flying buttresses pierced with mouchettes, and a crocketed spire with lucarnes and weathervane. INTERIOR: 5-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns with moulded caps carrying moulded 2-centred arches which have linked hoodmoulds with figured stops; large chancel arch in similar style; galleries on 3 sides, filling the west bay but set back under the aisles, carried by delicate cast-iron segmental arcading on slender columns, with cusped decoration to the soffits and cusped quatrefoils and mouchettes in the spandrels, and square-panelled front with cusped decoration in the panels; wall monument to Thomas German (d.1847) in south aisle, in Gothick style; tiled floor in base of tower, square, with buff, blue and red foliated designs and inner border with continuous lettering in Gothic script "THIS TOWER AND SPIRE WERE ERECTED BY THOMAS GERMAN ALDERMAN AND TWICE MAYOR OF THIS BOROUGH IN MEMORY OF ELLEN HIS WIFE AD MDCCCLI". History: Commissioners' church, cost »6900, plus German bequest of »1000 for tower.

Listing NGR: SD5341929925

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 53419 29925


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1219062 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 06:59:42.

End of official listing