OLD WARDEN PARK
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- OLD WARDEN PARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1222169.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:51:06.
- Statutory Address:
- OLD WARDEN PARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
- Old Warden
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 14644 44236
TL 1444 OLD WARDEN
11/120 Old warden Park
Country house, now part of the Shuttleworth Agricultural College. 1875-76 by Henry Clutton for Joseph Shuttleworth, who had become wealthy through the success of his Lincolnshire engineering firm, Clayton and Shuttleworth. The house was to imitate Gawthorpe Hall (c.1600), the home of the well-established Lancashire Shuttleworths. Later wing 1883, probably by W Bennison, and some additions and internal alterations (1896) by R Weir Schultz. Mainly ashlar, with service wing partly in yellow brick. Jacobean style. 3-storeyed rectangular block with single-storeyed roof-lit central hall. 4-stage tower and lower wing to E. Rooms arranged in balanced, although not always symmetrical, plan. S elevation: 5-bay facade, central and outer bays with 3- storeyed canted bay windows. All mullion and transom windows, those to 2 recessed bays with moulded labels. Central bay, approached by flight of steps, forms porch at ground floor. This has round-headed stilted archway with moulded surround and label, flanked by clustered columns with bases at various heights. Doorway itself has segmental head with moulded stilted arch, and dripstone whose stops merge into wall (as do stops of all dripstones throughout building). Panelled and part-glazed double doors. Plain string courses to first and second floors. High parapet, plain with loopholes above recessed bays, with horseshoe-arched arcading above projecting bays. Various multiple chimney stacks, all of linked octagonal flues with moulded cornices. W elevation has 2 3-storeyed rectangular bays. N elevation has projecting 3 window bay to centre, with rounded angles above ground floor level supported on moulded corbels. Projecting bay has part-glazed door to LH, surmounted by stained glass window of the seasons, the whole within moulded label. Similar fenestration and parapets throughout. lower: lower stages are plain, with loophole windows to 3rd stage. Top stage has balcony to all sides with similar balustrade to that of house parapet. Clock face to each side, flanked by louvred windows and surmounted by arcading similar to house parapet. Plain parapet with loopholes. E wing is partly, if not entirely, a later addition. Partly of yellow brick with stone dressings, in simpler style than main block. Most windows smaller and mullioned, except for large mullion and transom ones to former billiard room which are similar to those in main block. Interior: Ground floor retains most original decoration. Front hall: pink marble chimney piece with white marble relief of boar hunt, fairly plain geometric plasterwork mouldings to ceiling. Library (of which chapel is C20 subdivision): rather Rococo in style; 2 white marble chimney pieces with gilt framed mirrors; light plasterwork panels to walls and ceiling with rinceaux, festoons, etc; 2 carved wood bookcases set into S wall of N half. Dining room: simpler Rococo style, including carved wood fire surround and overmantel. Central hall: heavier decoration, including deeply coffered gilded ceiling, half-height oak panelling, and marble and wood chimney piece with grotesque heads, rinceaux and Shuttleworth coat of arms. Staircase: simple rectangular ceiling mouldings, open well stair in oak with square section moulded balusters. Billiard room (now Resources room) in E wing: plaster cornice frieze with strapwork and festoons. Carved wood chimney piece incorporates caryatids and panels showing biblical scenes, probably Jacobean, and may be reused from the house of 3rd Lord Ungley, demolished to make way for Clutton's building. E tower contains service stairs and lift. (P Hunting, "Henry Clutton's country houses", Architectural history, vol.26, 1983, pp.100-104).
Listing NGR: TL1464444236
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, , Vol. 26, (1983), 100-4
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing