This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1224759



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 420905

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BURFORD AND UPTON PRIORY LANE AND SIGNET (West end) SP2412-2512; SP2512(Enlargement) The Priory (Previously 5/179; 7/179 listed as Burford Priory 12.9.55 and chapel)


Gentleman's mansion house, on site of a small Augustinian Hospital. c.1200 and late 16th century, remodelled and extended mid C17 by William (Speaker) Lenthall, and altered again after 1808 when it was greatly reduced in size. Ashlar and dressed rubble, Cotswold stone roofs. Largely Jacobean with fragmentary C13 and c.1580 elements. Roughly U- plan. Three storeys and attic. Outer gables with steps and cut finials, ; central fluted-fan panel with finials, flanked by set-back, paired diagonal-shaft chimneys. Mullion windows, very long on 1st floor. 3 storey outer bays with crenellations (1580s, moved from S.front - see scars - in mid-C17). Central swagger porch with Corinthian ground floor and Composite 1st floor; panels, atlantes, strapwork and 'shield', arched doorway. South side: mid-C17 six-bay long gallery wing in freestone with arched-architraves, scroll keys and panelled pilasters to 1st floor windows, bulls-eye windows below, cornice and parapet, weathered verges, ashlar chimney. C18 extension, irregular 1 1/2 and 2 storey wing, restored 1923, one cross-mullion window to 1st floor right, a Serliana loggia to right of centre with shaped gable over, 4 hipped dormers to left. Rear of house; irregular, dominated by taller stair block with two arched windows (mid-C18); U-plan ranges, South wing restored by Horniman with elements of Cotswold style and Voyseyish detail. The interior: 3 C13 (early) arches and piers re-instated in entrance hall which has a C17 fire-place. Early- mid C18 staircase with 3 barley-sugar balusters per tread, fluted Corinthian newels, enriched plaster ceiling with high relief rose and pendant. On 1st floor, the 'ball-room' (present chapel) has wide-rib enriched plaster ceiling with pedants; large fire-place with 3 spiral pairs of palmette-Ionic columns, broken segmental pediment and overmantel carving in the same spirit as the Harman memorial in the Parish Church (q.v.) however with the Lenthall arms and grey-hound crest; excellent pine panelling. The spine wall at rear of front block is basically mediaeval. History The Hospital of St John the Evangelist was 1st recorded in 1226 and was quite small. In 1543, it was granted to Edmund Harman, one of Henry VIII's barber-surgeons, who seems to have built a mansion here. The Priory was next acquired by Sir Lawrence Tanfield, later Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer (as Lord of the Manor of Burford, very unpopular for reducing the power of the burgesses); he entertained James I here in 1603, and altered it. William (Speaker) Lenthall bought The Priory in 1637 and died in 1662 having extended and remodelled it. Charles II dined here in 1681 en route to the Burford Races. After a chequered history including the amputation of outer wings and flattening of the facade in early C19, The Priory was saved from complete dereliction in 1908 by Col de Sales de la Terriere whose work was continued by Emslie John Horniman, who bought it in 1912. It is now the Convent of The Community of the Salutation of Our Lady (Anglican Benedictine), enclosed order, hence the elegant half- moon yew screen to entrance. Despite alterations, a good example of a mid-C17 gentleman's house. B of E. Oxfordshire, J Sherwood and NP pp 510-512; County Life 4 March 1911 pp 306-315; 3 June 1939 pp 586-591; Oxoniensia, Vol IV 1939 pp 71- 88.

Listing NGR: SP2499612363

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 510-512
'Country Life' in 3 June, (1939), 586-591
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 4, (1939), 71-88
'Country Life' in 4 March, (1911), 306-315

National Grid Reference: SP2499612363


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1224759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 04:56:00.

End of official listing