Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1225063.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:03:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 36190 36467


SO 33 NE; 3/128


Church of St Bartholomew




Parish church. C12 origins with major work of late C13, C14 and C17. Finely coursed sandstone rubble, timber-framed bell turret, stone slate and slate roofs. Three-bay nave and 2-bay chancel in one, bell turret in west gable, south porch.

The bell turret, possibly dating from early C16, is timber-framed with close-studding with two rails topped by a slate-clad broach spire. Two-light late C19 cinquefoiled west window. North-west window of nave is of similar design but probably C14. The next window to the west is C13 with three stepped lights. Two c1300 trefoiled windows on north side of chancel have two lights - the western one is restored. East window similar to the 3-light window in the north wall of the nave. Two 2-light trefoiled windows in south wall of chancel matching those on north side. South-east window of nave matches the 3-light window opposite. East of the south porch is one small C12 round-headed window. South porch has C18 wicket gate and gabled stone slate roof with each side supported by 12 C17 balusters. Entrance under 2-centred moulded C14 arch, contemporary ledged door with ornate strap hinges and three vertical fillets

INTERIOR: mainly C17 roof is supported on 7 pairs of chamfered posts extending to wall-plate level. Consoles on each post carry struts supporting tie beams with pendants; above the ties are collars supported by queen struts and angle struts. Between the last and penultimate pair of posts, corresponding to the liturgical chancel, are two C14 (?) trusses without posts consisting of foiled principal rafters and V-struts above arch-braced collars rising from the wall plates. The chancel is also defined by a C17 screen enriched with two terms beneath a central pediment and a plank and muntin derived dado supporting balusters. In the chancel are two inward-facing benches incised "RK 1636", C17 altar rails with turned balusters, a C13 piscina with 2-centred head and two basins and a shelf, also a late C19 heating stove inscribed "FLAT TOP/ ROMEESSE". Nave: pulpit is probably C18, 5-sided with plain moulded rail and bulbous pedestal with 3 feet. West of the pulpit in the north wall are two plain arched tomb recesses. On the south side west of the screen is a large niche, possibly the remains of access door to rood loft Oak panelling, probably C17, runs along both sides of the nave. The font has a fluted circular basin, probably C12, supported on a C19 base. At the west end of the nave two parclose screens with balusters, possibly C17, divide off the north-west and south-west corners and in the centre is a C17 heavy open timber-framed belfry support with a large central pendant and angle struts to the bottom storey. Monuments: on the south side of the east wall a tapering marble wall plaque in the style of Canova containing a head, to Sir Edward Boughton, died 1794, of Poston Court (qv); on the west side of the south door, a simple stone plque supported on a bracket, to Matthew Seaborne, died 1798. Graded I on account of unusual interior with posts supporting roof trusses.

Listing NGR: SO3618536466


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02476/27
Rights: Copyright IoE G. Jane Fleet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].