CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1226171
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1226171.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:03:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Heptonstall
National Grid Reference:
SD 98645 28006

Details

SD 9828SE HEPTONSTALL C.P. HEPTONSTALL

9/77 Church of St. Thomas

1.11.66

G.V. II*

Church, c.1850-1854 by Mallinson and Healey. Set in the same church yard as the Church of St. Thomas a Becket which it replaced. Ashlar, slate roof. Tall west tower, nave, aisles, chancel and chancel chapels, north porch and south porch. Gothic Revival with Perpendicular traceried windows. 3-stage embattled tower. Angle buttresses. North door has pointed arched doorway with richly moulded surround and carved spandrels. West window set in 1st stage, square window with 4 quatrefoil lights in 2nd stage. Tall belfry windows of 3 over 3 lights to 3rd stage with elaborate hoodmould. Richly embattled parapet with tall pinnacles. 6-bay nave with 3-light windows to aisles and clerestorey, articulated by offset buttresses surmounted by gargoyles. Buttresses to clerestorey rise to form crocketed pinnacles. Richly embattled roofs with pinnacles and carved cross at division with chancel which has lower roof. 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chancel chapels. Diagonal buttresses rise to form pinnacles at east end with broad east window of 5 over 5 lights with cusped heads and plate tracery. 2-light windows in single bay return walls at basement level light small crypt chapel. Gabled porches with decorated diagonal buttresses and pinnacles has pointed arched doorway with richly moulded surround rising from colonnettes. Hoodmould has carved faces to termination. Interior: Arcades with pointed arches rising from piers with clustered colonnettes and moulded capitals. Queen post roof with spandrels filled with tracery. This rests on long posts with curved braces to tie beam, carved stone angels. Lean-to roofs to aisles. Archbraced roof to chancel. Most windows have stained glass. Reordered seating and furnishings in a modern cathedral style c.1964 at the bequest of Abraham Gibson of Greenwood Lee (q.v.) by Robert Maguire and Keith Murray. In the 3rd bay of the nave a large new organ screen divides the church in two. Fine organ by Hill, Norman and Beard, 1964. The unusual 11 sided font from the old church is set behind the screen in preference to the 1850 font which is to one side of the altar. Some monuments from the old church are now housed in the tower which has the earlier church's clock made by Titus Bancroft of Sowerby Bridge in 1809. This has an 18' pendulum, dials 6' in diameter. The chief merit of the church lies in its landscape value. It is superbly sited and is visible on the skyline from every surrounding valley. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1479) p.262, 631. Illustrated in K. Parry, Trans-Pennine Heritage (1981) p.136.

Listing NGR: SD9864528006

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
423308
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Parry, K, Trans Pennine Heritage Hills People and Transport, (1981), 136
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 262, 631

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/14920/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].