TODMORDEN TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1228980
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
TODMORDEN TOWN HALL, HALIFAX ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1228980.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:01:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TODMORDEN TOWN HALL, HALIFAX ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Todmorden
National Grid Reference:
SD 93665 24167

Details

SD 9324 TODMORDEN (former M.B.) HALIFAX ROAD (north side)

6/131 Todmorden Town Hall (formerly listed as Town Hall) 22.11.66

G.V. I

Town Hall. Opened 3rd April, 1875 by the Postmaster General, Lord John Manners. By John Gibson for Samuel, John and Joshua Fielden. Sandstone ashlar, lead roof. Classical. In form an apsidal temple raised on a high basement. The basement has banded rustication and the upper walls are also slightly Channelled. Plinth, stylobat and ¾ unfluted Composite columns supporting elaborate entablature which has a fretted pulvinated frieze enriched by rosettes. The front is of 3 bays, and the return wall of 7. Terminated in each case by clasping pilasters. The apse is stepped in slightly and is similarly treated, except that the columns are detached and have cabled surface. The tall 1st floor has, at the front, round headed windows and richly carved surround, and at the sides similar straight headed windows, all surmounted by circular windows. Set within the tympanum of the deeply moulded triangular pediment impressive statuary. 2 central female figures linked in friendship are seated on a pedestal inscribed 'LANCASHIRE/YORKSHIRE'. To either side groups depicting the Lancashire cotton industry and the engineering and agriculture of Yorkshire. Interior: Semi-circular entrance hall with Tuscan columns and pilasters. Set between is marble bust of John Fielden M.P. (1784-1849) by Thomas Campbell, 1850. 2 other balancing sculptures, one of Ruth another of Flight of Pompey. both by G. D. Benzoni, (Rome, 1878). These are set at the foot of Imperial staircase with elaborate cast-iron balustrade, the open-string risers covered by linking figures. At head of stair, painting of Thomas Fielden. Memorial tablet to Sir John Cockcroft (1897-1967), Nobel Prize winner. Large 1st floor hall with modillion cornice. Coved fretted cornice with medallions. Ceiling divided into 3 panels with large circular sun motif with pendant bosses. 3 large medallions set to rear of stage. Under hall are court chambers with oak- panelled horse-shoe inner chamber and dais with canopied chair. The foundations of an earlier hall by Mr. Green were laid in the early 1860's. In 1866 the Fieldens purchased the partial constructed hall. Constrained by the site Gibson produced a building of concentrated richness and great assurance unusual in this style at that period. One of the finest town halls in West Yorkshire. Illustrated in D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (London, 1978), p.353. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London, 1979), p.522.

Listing NGR: SD9366524167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
403712
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978), 353
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 522

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02824/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].